The College of Arts and Sciences encourages long-term, high-impact involvement in public engagement efforts. The College features public engagement as a central component for research, teaching, and service initiatives.
We encourage you to review the public engagement definitions below and consider opportunities for publicly engaged scholarship, courses or programs, service, and volunteerism. Be inspired by past, current, and future efforts that are highlighted throughout this site.
If you have a public engagement initiative that you would like to develop, or if you are interested in working with an existing initiative, please contact Deb Privott, Assistant Dean for Public Engagement using the contact form.
Public engagement includes varying degrees of involvement, ranging from outreach to full engagement with two-way relationships. The questions below are to help you determine if your research, teaching, service or creative expression is included on the spectrum of public engagement. If you answer "yes" to each question below, then the activity in question meets the baseline criteria.
- Does this activity address a public or community need?
- Does this activity align in some way with UAlbany's mission?
- Is this activity relevant to my discipline/expertise?
- Is this activity conducted for, in, or with any communities or publics, as defined?
- Does this activity have mutual benefits for both the University and communities involved?
- Are the results/products of this activity available/accessible to the appropriate communities?