College of Arts and Sciences Diversity Climate Committee
The College of Arts and Sciences’ Diversity/Climate Committee will work to foster and sustain an environment that encourages and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion for all of its members and help maintain a work environment that promotes respectful exchanges between all of its constituents. This Committee will serve in a consultative fashion to the College and will consider how best to support members of all backgrounds to create a supportive and inclusive community.
The Committee will also consider ways in which it interfaces with the larger campus community as guided by the University’s Strategic Plan priorities in this regard:
UAlbany’s diversity—in our people and our ideas—drives excellence in everything that we do.
- Recruit and retain faculty, staff, and administrators and graduate students who better reflect the strong multidimensional diversity of our undergraduate students.
- Foster an inclusive campus climate through ongoing learning opportunities and celebrate individual differences, encourage the open and free exchange of diverse ideas, and provide opportunities to engage in constructive dialogue.
- Cultivate an inclusive learning environment by incorporating diversity into curricular and co-curricular activities that use innovative pedagogy and discipline-specific applications— delivered in accessible, inclusive facilities.
Sample Diversity and Inclusion Metrics
- Faculty, student, and staff diversity
- Retention rated of underrepresented minority faculty, staff, and students -Perceptions of the campus climate
- Instruction and/or participation in diverse and inclusive activities
Where, as a College, do we want to be, in these regards? What interventions and plans get us there?
How do we assess our accomplishments?
Where Activities and Initiatives Should Stem From
- Collaboration and networking with relevant campus units
- The desire to enlist speakers and experts to guide our progress
- Consider training that might be beneficial in this regard
- Review policies and practices for language that promotes these goals
- Make recommendations for “best practices” to the College and the campus at large
|Kristen Corbosiero||Associate Professor||ATM|
|Samantha Friedman||Associate Professor||SOC|
|Elana Gordis||Associate Professor||PSY|
Julia M. Hormes
|Associate Professor, Committee Chair||CAS|
|Cynthia Najdowski||Assistant Professor||PSY|
|Anna Newheiser||Assistant Professor||PSY|
|Cara Pager||Assistant Professor||BIO|
|Andrew Poulos||Assistant Professor||PSY|
|Sylvia Roch||Associate Professor||PSY|
|Brian Tang||Associate Professor||ATM|
|Qiang Zhang||Assistant Professor||CHEM|
Term of Appointment: One-year, renewable.