Senate Session Assistants Program
Online application is now open! To access the application, please click here
Applications will be accepted from Monday, September 7-Friday, October 16.
Please note, students are required to complete the UUNI 391 Application Coversheet before submitting all required application materials.
The Senate Sessions Assistants Program aims to foster an appreciative understanding of the role of processes, personalities, and problem solving in state government. Through the orientation process, the academic program administered by the Student Programs Office, and activities assigned throughout placement, interns become conversant with Senate procedures and resources, and interact with a range of key persons.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- University at Albany matriculated undergraduate students
- Junior standing (at least 56 credits) at the start of the internship
- Students with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Students from all academic disciplines are encouraged to apply
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
Students selected for this internship will earn 15 academic credits, and receive a stipend of $6,600 over the course of the internship (paid bi-weekly).
- Official transcript(s) of all college level work
- Three (3) Letters of Reference from individuals familiar with your academic abilities and professional aptitude. At least two must be faculty members, and should be from the University at Albany.
- Original and recent paper or essay (must be titled, double-spaced, and 6-8 pages in length)
- Two (2) One-Page Memoranda
- A Policy Proposal: this can be either enacted or proposed legislation. Describe the problem you are trying to solve, what your proposal would do, and the expected outcome
- A Rebuttal of the Proposal: why wouldn't the proposal create the expected outcomes? What are the unintended consequences? What are the costs versus the benefits?
- One (1) page statement of purpose explaining why you are applying for the internship
If you missed the Information Session or Application Workshop, check out this FAQ.
You can also join the CURCE Blackboard Community Page to view the recordings & post in the discussion!
Join the CURCE Blackboard Community Page to stay up to date on events, programs, opportunities & connect with other students. To Enroll:
- Log into your UAlbany Blackboard Account
- In the upper right-hand corner, click "Community"
- Find the "Organization Search" function, and search for "CURCE"
- Hover over our "Organization ID" labeled "NS-2020-Undergrad-Ed-Curce" and click "Enroll"
Please direct any inquires regarding the Senate Sessions Assistants Program (UUNI 391) to Casey Kohler in the Office of Undergraduate Education via email at [email protected]
For more information about the State Senate, please click on the link below or click here.