Student Resources

We hope that this list of university resources will be helpful to you during your years at UAlbany, especially first year.

NY State Residency Information
If you don't already live in New York, you will need to apply for residency after you have been in the program for a year (state residency is essential for students on teaching or research assistantships, since after the first year of doctoral work, your tuition will be paid at the in-state rate). As soon as you arrive in Albany for your first year, you should change your permanent address in MyUAlbany to your local address. You should also obtain a NY state driver’s license (and car registration, if you own a car). To become a permanent resident, you must pay NY state taxes on your earnings in New York. This page provides you with information about the process. You will need to live in New York for one full year before you can be considered a resident.

If you have a car, be sure to take a look at the University's Parking page to find out how much it will cost to park and get your parking decal. The decal can be requested online. There's a slightly different procedure for paying if you're a GSEU (grad student union) member (which many of us will be during first and second years). Learn more on this page. If you will be using mass transit, which can be done easily in Albany, take a look at this page about the University's shuttle buses, and Albany and regional mass transit options. All city buses are free for UAlbany students with your SUNY identification card.

Campus Maps
Even though most of our classes are on the uptown campus, these maps for the uptown and downtown campus may be helpful as you try to find your way around our huge campus.

Graduate Student Association (GSA)
UAlbany's GSA provides students with opportunities for leadership and networking. The Counseling Psychology division has a GSA rep and perhaps you can be that person! Our GSA funds provide us with several benefits, including funding for travel and conferences and also free printing at the GSO office in the Campus Center. Vist the GSA website to learn more.

University Libraries
Learn about library resources for graduate students by looking at UA Libraries excellent online guides for graduate students. The UA Libraries has most of the resources you will need to complete your research. What they don't have you can request through Interlibrary Loan, which has pretty quick turnaround times. They also scan and e-mail articles and book chapters that are only available in print/microfilm in their collections. Their new eDiscover service allows you to search for books, articles and websites at the same time. Try it on the library's homepage (notice the eDiscover tab in the default search box).

University Health Center
Research and teaching assistants receive health insurance through the university, but low cost health care is also available through the University's Health Center. More information is available here. The Health Center also accepts the insurance plan from our assistantships.

Graduate Student Employee Union
As a research or teaching assistant during your first and second years you can choose to join the GSEU. Visit the GSEU web site for more information. Joining the union does not happen automatically. You will need to fill out a membership application to become a full member.

MyUAlbany is our student portal, where you will be able to check e-mail, add and drop classes, check your student account, request transcripts, obtain your grades, change your residency status, apply for graduation, log into Blackboard and online courses and more.

Schedule of Classes
We add and drop courses through the MyUAlbany portal, but schedules are also available online.

Division Listservs
Our program is housed within the Division of Counseling Psychology, one of four Divisions within the Educational and Counseling Psychology Department. The division Division has two listservs: CPY-L for faculty, staff and master's and doctoral students and DSA1-L, just for doctoral students. You will be automatically subscribed to the CPY-L list and will be given information on how to subscribe to the DSA list during orientation.

Division Facebook Page
The Division's Facebook page features photos of faculty, students and the campus. It is also used to highlight faculty and student presentations, publications and other activities. "Like" us today!