Faculty Conduct and Grievances

Expectations and requirements of faculty conduct are described in detail in the Faculty Handbook (https://www.albany.edu/senate/handbook.htm). The Principles of Teaching Responsibility, which appear in the Faculty Handbook, are reprinted in Appendix 1 of this document. Students sometimes come to the Office for Undergraduate Education to report problems they are having with an instructor. We can often play a useful role in mediating disagreements or in explaining policies. We can also effectively make referrals to health, counseling, academic support, or advisement services. However, we always tell students that they must discuss problems and if necessary register complaints: first with the instructor; second with the department chair; and third with the dean of the relevant School or College. This is also the sequence of steps in formal grievance procedures, which occur within schools or colleges under the oversight of the Committee on Admissions and Academic Standing (CAAS), which is one of the committees of the Undergraduate Academic Council. If resolution of a grievance is not obtained within a School or College, students may petition CAAS for action. Legislation passed by the University Senate during the 2002-2003 academic year allows for the CAAS to change a grade against the will of the faculty member(s) involved if it deems such action to be appropriate.