Recess Housing

What is Recess Housing? 

UAlbany suspends classes, activities and residence hall housing three times during the academic year for scheduled recess periods, such as Thanksgiving, Winter Intersession and Spring Recess. 

All buildings, other than those specifically designated for recess housing, will be closed during these breaks. Several student services are not available during recess periods: 

  • Dining halls and retail dining services 

  • Mail delivery or forwarding 

  • Residential Life offices and wellness centers 

Residential Life staff members are available during recess periods, in the event of an emergency. 

All rules and regulations stated in the student code of conduct, Community Rights & Responsibilities, and the Housing License remain in effect.  


Apartments & Residence Halls with 2021-2022 Recess Housing 

Freedom ApartmentsLiberty Terrace and Empire Commons stay open for current residents during Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break and Spring Break.  

The following residence halls also offer recess housing: 

  • Indigenous QuadAdirondack, Cayuga and Mahican Halls  

  • Dutch QuadVan Rensselaer, Ten Broeck, Beverwyck and Schuyler Halls


2021-2022 Academic Year Recesses

Recess Period When Residence Halls without Recess Housing Close When Residence Halls without Recess Housing Reopen
Thanksgiving Break 2021 11 a.m. Wednesday, November 24, 2021 9 a.m. Sunday, November 28, 2021 
Winter Intersession 2021-2022 11 a.m. Wednesday, December 15, 2021 11 a.m. Sunday, January 16, 2022 
Spring Recess 2022 6 p.m. Friday, March 11, 2022  11 a.m. Sunday, March 20, 2022 

Note: Students who have a UAlbany class on Saturday, March 19, 2022, can make special arrangements with Residential Life for Spring Recess 2022. Please contact your Quad Information Center for more information.


How do I get approved for Recess Housing? 

Students must apply and be approved for recess housing to remain in residence halls (quads) during University recess periods — regardless of whether they live in a residence hall that offers recess housing or not.

University apartments remain open during academic year recess periods, so students who live in on-campus apartments do not need to apply or be approved for recess housing.

If you do not have recess housing approval, your UAlbany ID card will be deactivated for the duration of the break. You must vacate your room or suite no later than 24 hours after your last class or exam. You may leave your personal belongings in your room at your own risk. 

Note: Students who have been approved for a housing release after they complete the fall semester are ineligible for recess housing during the Winter Intersession and must follow check-out/move-out procedures as directed. 

Students who legitimately need to stay on campus during a University recess period may request recess housing in one of two ways: 


Option 1: Select a Housing Assignment with Recess Housing

We encourage students to consider Recess Housing when they apply for Academic Year Housing

Incoming first year and transfer students who know they’ll need to stay on campus during breaks should indicate that they need recess housing on their housing application. 

Rising sophomores, juniors and seniors, as well as graduate students, who know they’ll need to stay on campus during breaks should select a room in a building with recess housing during Housing Sign-ups. 

Returning international students and student-athletes can sign up for rooms with recess housing during the Special Interest Housing Sign-up period. 

Learn more on the Apply for Academic Year Housing page. 

Option 2: Apply for Recess Housing During the Semester

Students who have selected a housing assignment that does not offer recess housing but who legitimately need to remain on campus during a University recess period can request to move to a residence hall with recess housing during the break. 

They must complete a Recess Housing Application, which will be accessible on the Housing Portal in the weeks before a scheduled recess. Residential Life will notify students when the application is live.

You’ll receive an email to your address explaining whether you have been approved for recess housing. If you are approved, you’ll also receive instructions and rules for recess housing. 


Contact Residential Life at [email protected] or 518-442-5875