Academic Year Housing

The Benefits of Living on Campus 

We offer on-campus housing every year you study at UAlbany — from Living-Learning Communities and Transfer Communities in residence halls for new students, to fully furnished apartments for upperclassmen.

Wherever you live on campus, you have free laundry, internet and fitness facilities, and 24/7 access to Residential Life staff. 

Plus, you’re within walking distance to everything on campus. Grab a bite and head to your 9 a.m. class. You can always pop back to your room if you forgot a textbook or want to change into workout clothes. In the evening, you won’t have to go far for dinner, events or club meetings. You can even catch the Thursday Shopping Shuttle nearby. 

Living on campus puts UAlbany — and everything it has to offer — at your fingertips.  


Apply for Academic Year Housing 

Review the Housing Requirements & Eligibility information to determine your class standing.


Housing Requirements & Eligibility 

For housing purposes, a student’s class year is determined by undergraduate academic credits. 

To determine your class year for the coming academic year, add the total number of credits you have already completed and the number of new credits you will earn by the end of the current term. 

Any student can live in the residence halls (quads). You must have at least 56 academic credits (or be at least 21 years old) to live in the University Apartments. To check your earned credits, request a degree audit.

Freshmen and sophomores are required to live on campus. However, commuter students, married students, students who are at least 21 years old, students who are veterans, and students with a medical reason can apply for a housing exemption.

Students who are under the age of 17 must have a parent or guardian complete a Housing Authorization for a Minor Child form

Students are responsible for signing themselves up for housing and completing the housing application. The application is available on MyUAlbany. Our staff will not sign students up for housing over the phone or via email. 

Your housing assignment will be active for the entire academic year. However, students in certain circumstances — such as study abroad, fall graduation, internships, medical need, withdrawal or transfer — can apply for a semester-long housing release



Contact Residential Life at [email protected] or 518-442-5875