Apply for Housing as an Incoming Transfer Student

Living on campus is one of the best ways to become an active member of the University at Albany community — the Great Dane family. You’ll meet friends, get involved and be just steps away from campus resources. 

All freshmen and sophomores are required to live on campus. Commuter students, married students, students who are at least 21 years old, students who are veterans, and students with medical reasons can apply for a housing exemption for the 2023-2024 Academic Year until 4 p.m. July 31, 2023.

Most of our transfer students live on campus. Freshmen and sophomores live in our residence halls (quads). Sophomores can also live in Freedom Apartments. Upperclassmen (any student who has earned at least 56 academic credits or is at least 21 years old) can live in any of the University Apartments. 

Explore your housing options. 


Two students stand outside a residential quad talking and smiling on a spring day


Housing Application 

All new incoming students must submit a Housing Application on the Housing Portal before they can be assigned a room on campus.

The 2023-2024 Housing Application opens for new students on April 6, 2023. However, you will not have access to next steps until you have submitted required health documentation.

Your housing assignment — including any roommate requests and/or special interest housing requests — is determined by the date and time we receive your housing application. 

If you’re having issues accessing the application, please email [email protected] and include your name and UAlbany ID number in your message. 

To cancel your 2023-2024 housing after applying, submit a Housing Cancellation Form. Any student who does not cancel their 2023-2024 housing before apartments and residence halls open for the Fall 2023 semester is liable for the entire academic year contract. Review housing calendars.


Roommate Requests 

You can use the free matching tool Roomsurf to help you find a roommate. UAlbany’s code is UA1844. We also suggest students join their class year’s official Facebook group.

The deadline for 2023-2023 roommate requests is June 2, 2023.

Note: Not all roommate requests can be accommodated. 


Special Interest Housing Requests 

Transfer Communities

Live and take classes with other incoming transfer students who share your personal or academic interests by joining one of UAlbany's Transfer Communities

You can apply for a Transfer Community when you register for Orientation in early May. In your Transfer Community application, please explain why you want to be a member of your chosen community.  

You must also complete the housing application. You can request a roommate; if your roommate selects the same Transfer Community and you are both eligible, you’ll be housed together. 

Communities are filled on a first come, first served basis, so we suggest you apply as soon as possible. 

You’ll be notified in June if you have been accepted into the Transfer Community and your academic advisor will help you plan your fall schedule of classes during Orientation. 

Please contact Transfer Engagement with questions about Transfer Communities and contact Residential Life ([email protected]) with any questions about housing and roommates. 

Note: Students who apply for spring-only housing are not eligible for Transfer Communities, as they are a full year program.

Recess Housing

Please indicate that you need recess housing on your housing application if you’ll live in a residence hall (quads) and need to stay on campus during UAlbany breaks — such as Thanksgiving Break, Intersession and Spring Break. 

This request is commonly made by international students, student-athletes and any student who needs to reside on campus during any of the breaks.

University Apartments do not close during UAlbany recesses.

Honors College Housing

All Honors College students have the option of living in honors housing each year they attend UAlbany. 

Honors College freshmen can choose to live in Melville, Steinmetz and Irving Halls, and sophomores can choose to live in Irving Hall — all of which are on State Quad. Honors College juniors and senior can sign up for housing in the G1 and G2 buildings on Empire Commons

If you have been accepted into the Honors College, please indicate whether you want to live in honors housing on your housing application. 

Note: Your roommate(s) and/or suitemate(s) must also be Honors College students if you choose to live in honors housing. 

Harvey House

Harvey House is an intentionally intersectional residential community designed to celebrate and affirm the cultural experiences of LGBTQ+ students and their allies. 

Cultural, educational and social programming helps Harvey House residents develop a strong sense of belonging and empowers them to better understand and advocate for equity, inclusion and social justice at UAlbany and beyond. Harvey House is located inside Ten Broeck Hall on Dutch Quad, which is a recess housing building.

Harvey House provides current students with the opportunity to live with other members of the LGBTQ+ community, including allies. 

You must request to live in Harvey House on the Comment page of the Housing Application.

Harvey House is named after gay rights activist Harvey Milk, who graduated from UAlbany in 1951. Milk was the first openly gay elected official in the United States when he was elected to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors in 1977. He was shot and killed in 1978 and honored posthumously with the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Barack Obama in 2009. 

Please contact Assistant Director for Community Development Jameelee Ford at [email protected] with any questions regarding Harvey House. 

Gender-Inclusive Housing

Since single-gender housing may not be appropriate or comfortable for all students, a limited number of gender-inclusive rooms are available in our residence halls and apartments. 

Students who sign up for Gender-Inclusive Housing can select roommates and suitemates from across the gender spectrum. 

You must request to live in Gender-Inclusive Housing on the Comment page of the Housing Application.

Please contact Assistant Director for Community Development Jameelee Ford at [email protected] with any questions regarding Gender-Inclusive Housing.

Housing Accommodations

Students who require housing accommodations must have their medical need(s) documented by Disability Access and Inclusion Student Services. Documentation must be renewed each year before the Special Interest Housing Sign-up period. 

Students with housing accommodations can live with any roommate(s) and/or suitemate(s).


Contact Residential Life at [email protected] or 518-442-5875