Personal Assessment and Referral

Personal Assessment and Referral

The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides the University at Albany faculty, staff, Research Foundation employees, GSEU members, spouses and immediate family members with free, confidential assistance from a qualified professional who can listen, be supportive and recommend someone who can help.

EAP focuses on such issues as family and relationship issues, work stress, inter-personal difficulties, substance abuse or dependency, aging parents, legal matters and financial concerns. EAP can locate resources in the community to help you begin resolving such concerns as:

  • anxiety
  • child abuse
  • depression
  • domestic violence
  • eating disorders
  • elder care
  • family concerns: troubled teens, blended families, etc.
  • marital/couples issues
  • financial pressures
  • gambling
  • grief and loss
  • legal issues
  • physical illness
  • physical, emotional, or sexual abuse
  • psychological concerns
  • personal stress and work stress
  • substance abuse
When to Contact EAP
Personal Assistance

Personal assistance is used for different reasons. Many people decide to schedule an appointment if they are:

  • overwhelmed or stressed
  • feeling like they have no control
  • angry, irritable, or worried a lot of the time
  • feeling sad, helpless, or hopeless
  • sleeping too much or too little
  • having unusual ideas or sensations
  • finding it difficult to get out of bed
  • having difficulty concentrating
  • faced with a major life decision
  • unable to manage daily responsibilities
  • concerned about their use of alcohol or drugs or a loved one's use
  • dealing with the loss of a loved one or co-worker
  • harming themselves or someone else
  • experiencing a chronic health problem
  • curious about how to find a therapist
  • in need of an "outside" perspective
  • concerned for a friend, family member, or co-worker
  • in a difficult relationship
  • ending a relationship
  • concerned about their child's behavior
  • caring for an elderly parent
  • in conflict with a co-worker
  • dissatisfied with work
  • uncertain about talking with a supervisor
Professional & Personal Development

EAP is not only for when things are tough but is also a resource for professional and personal development.

  • interested in taking a course/class but don't know where to start
  • want to find resources or reading material related to a topic of interest
  • looking for professional development opportunities to advance your career
  • want to participate in campus events 

If you need urgent health care or are experiencing suicidal ideation:

Please dial 9-1-1; dial 9-8-8 to reach the Suicide and Crisis Hotline; or call the Albany County Crisis Unit at 518-549-6500.


For EAP services during business hours, contact Carly Galbraith, Interim EAP Coordinator at 518-442-5483 or [email protected].

If it is outside of business hours or if you are unable to reach the EAP Coordinator and need to speak with someone for confidential referral information, please contact the New York State Employee Assistance Program Office and request a referral to another NYS EAP Coordinator at 518-486-9769.