Apply to a Degree or Certificate Program
Application for admission to a graduate program at the University at Albany is easy. All applications are filled out on-line. The University no longer accepts paper applications.
Specific application requirements for individual programs can be found in the Program Deadlines and Requirements section of this web site. It is helpful to have all required elements for your application in place before you apply. Links to detailed instructions for the required elements of your application can be found in the Learn More About box at the right.
The Frequently Asked Questions section of this website provides answers to basic questions you may have. If you need more detailed help, or have questions that are not answered in this section, please contact the Graduate School. We can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (518) 442-3980.
Follow these steps to complete your application.
For detailed instructions on each of these steps, check our Step-by-Step Application Process.
- Check your department’s deadlines and requirements.
- Gather these necessary application materials:
- Transcripts of all schools attended
- Statement of background and goals
- Departmental questionnaire
- Graduate Assistantship/Fellowship Application
- Names and contact information for 3 recommenders. Recommendations can only be submitted online. Once you enter the email address, recommenders will automatically be sent the online recommendation form once you save their information in your application.
- Create an application account and submit the Application and Application Fee.
- Submit official standardized test scores, if required.
Upon admission, please submit official transcripts from each institution you have attended in either of two ways:
- The Registrar’s Office at your prior institution may mail your transcript directly to UAlbany’s Graduate School, or
- If you prefer that your prior institution mail your transcript to you, please make sure that you then mail the transcript to UAlbany in its original, sealed envelope.
Transcripts mailed by your prior institution, or by you, should be sent to:
The Graduate School
University at Albany
1400 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12222
- Please Note: If you have previously attended the University at Albany, you do not need to request a transcript from our Registar's Office to be sent to the Graduate School, unless you are applying for our School of Public Health programs through SOPHAS. For non-SOPHAS applications, the Graduate School will generate the transcript and upload it to your application account. If you are applying through SOPHAS you will need to request an official transcript be sent directly to SOPHAS.
- Please Note: Unofficial transcripts will be used in the admission review process. Official transcript are only required upon admission.
Please note that several programs require area-specific statements of purpose, forms, questionnaires, or portfolio samples. Those too may be found within our Program Deadlines and Requirements section of this website, along with a link to the necessary forms.
If you are ready, you can begin the easy online application process.