../templates_2009/images/random_pagetops/img-7.jpg; ../templates_2009/images/random_pagetops/pic-1.jpg; ../templates_2009/images/random_pagetops/pic-3.jpg; ../templates_2009/images/random_pagetops/pic-6.jpg; ../templates_2009/images/random_pagetops/pic-8.jpg; ../templates_2009/images/random_pagetops/pic-9.jpg; ../templates_2009/images/random_pagetops/pic-11.jpg;


UAlbany Veteran's Contact Information

Email uaveteran@albany.edu for the most immediate response to your questions.

We will typically reply within 2-3 business days with minor exceptions due to the heavy demands noted.

Visit the Veteran & Military Student Services website for additional information.


Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces (FAFSA Q49)?

You should answer "Yes" if:

  • You have engaged in active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard), or you were a member of the National Guard or Reserve who was called to active duty for purposes other than state or training purposes, or you were a cadet or midshipman at one of the service academies, and
  • You were released under a condition other than dishonorable. Box 24 of the DD214 indicates the "Character of Service." If anything other than "dishonorable" appears in that box, you should answer "Yes" to this question, as long as you were called to active service. There is no minimum amount of time the student has to have served to be considered a veteran for federal student aid purposes, but the service does have to be considered "active service" If "dishonorable" appears in box 24, you must answer "No" to Question 49.

You should also answer "Yes" if you are not a veteran now but will be one by June 30, 2014.

You should answer "No" (you are not a veteran) if:

  • You have never engaged in active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces,
  • you are currently an ROTC student or a cadet or midshipman at a service academy, or
  • you are a National Guard or Reserve enlistee activated only for training purposes.
  • You were engaged in active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces but released under dishonorable conditions.

Note that if you are currently serving in the U.S. Armed Forces and will continue to serve through June 30, 2014, you should answer "No" to this particular question.

Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (Chapter 30)

The GI Bill-Active Duty (Chapter 30) provides for up to thirty-six months of educational benefits to eligible veterans. Basic eligibility criteria are an honorable discharge and a high school diploma or GED. In addition, the veteran must meet the criteria set forth in one of three categories. These criteria are based on dates of active duty, length of service, and special requirements specific to each particular category.

Detailed information is available from the Veterans Benefits Administration.

Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible. The Post-9/11 GI Bill will pay eligible individuals at a percentage level ranging from 40% to 100%, based on the total number of days of eligible service after September 10, 2001. Payments include: tuition and fees directly to the school, not to exceed the maximum in-state tuition and fees at a public Institution of Higher Learning; a monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Housing Allowance for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school; and an annual books and supplies stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment. Additionally, tutorial assistance, and licensing and certification test reimbursement are approved. If you are enrolled exclusively in online training, you will not receive the housing allowance. If you are on active duty you will not receive the housing allowance or books and supplies stipend. This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally payable for 15 years following your release from active duty. The Post-9/11 GI Bill also offers some service members the opportunity to transfer their GI Bill to their dependents. Additional information is available from the Veterans Administration.

Detailed information is available from the Veterans Benefits Administration.

Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)

The Montgomery GI-Bill Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) provides educational benefits to members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Reserves as well as the Army National Guard and the Air Guard. It is the first Veteran's Administration program that makes educational benefits available to reservists who have never served on active duty.

Additional information about eligibility criteria and monthly benefit amounts are available from your Reserve or Guard unit.

Veterans Education Assistance Program (Chapter 32)

The Post-Vietnam Veteran's Educational Program (Chapter 32) is a benefit for veterans who paid into VEAP while they were in the service. In order to be eligible, veterans must have been discharged under conditions other than dishonorable, entered active duty after December 31, 1976 but before July 1, 1985, and completed twenty-four continuous months of active duty. There are some exceptions to the last requirement.

Benefits are paid monthly and are based on the veteran's contributions and Veteran's Administration matching amounts in relation to the number of months contributions were made by the veteran, type of education being pursued, and the length of the educational program.

Detailed information is available from the Veterans Benefits Administration.

Veteran's Administration Survivor's and Dependents' Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)

The Veteran's Administration Survivor's and Dependents' Educational Assistance (Chapter 35) education benefit is available to childrean of veterans' who are at least eighteen years old, veterans' spouses, and surviving spouses who have not remarried.

The veteran must be totally and permanently disabled from a service-related disability or died because of a service-related disability.

Eligible persons can receive benefits for up to forty-five months.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)

REAP was established as a part of the Ronald W. Reagan National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2005. It is a new Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This new program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

New York National Guard Educational Incentive Program

Members in good standing of the New York State Army or Air National Guards or New York State Naval Militia may receive scholarships of up to the average SUNY tuition rate to attend any SUNY or CUNY institutions, any New York community colleges or designated independent colleges. The recipients must also be New York State residents who are matriculated students in good standing enrolled on at least a half-time basis. All recipients must apply for Tuition Assistance Program awards and federal Pell grants.

Additional information about the program is available from National Guard unit commanders.

New York State Veterans Tuition Awards

Veterans Tuition Awards (VTA) are awards for full-time study and part-time study for eligible veterans matriculated in an undergraduate or graduate degree program. For undergraduate and graduate full-time study, a recipient shall receive an award of up to the full cost of undergraduate tuition for New York state residents at the State University of New York, or actual tuition charged, whichever is less. Full-time study is defined as twelve or more credits per semester in courses applicable to the student's program of study. For part-time study, awards will be prorated by credit hour. Part-time study is defined as at least three but fewer than twelve credits per semester in courses applicable to the student's program of study. To count in the determination of the student's minimum full-time or part-time course load, a course must apply to the student's program as a general education requirement, a major requirement, or elective (whether restricted or free elective). Tuition payments received by a veteran under the Chapter 33 Program will be considered duplicative of any VTA award students may have received. Combined tuition benefits available to a student cannot exceed the actual tuition.

Eligible Veterans

New York State residents discharged under other than dishonorable conditions from the U.S. Armed forces and are:

  • Vietnam Veterans who served in Indochina between Dec. 22, 1961 and May 7, 1975.
  • Persian Gulf Veterans who served in the Persian Gulf on or after Aug. 2, 1990.
  • Afghanistan Veterans who served in Afghanistan during hostilities on or after Sept. 11, 2001.
  • Veterans of the armed forces of the United States who served in hostilities that occurred after February 28, 1961 as evidenced by receipt of an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Navy Expeditionary Medal or a Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal.

To establish eligibility, complete the New York State Veterans Tuition Award Supplement or contact HESC at 1-888-697-4372. Be sure to print the Web Supplement Confirmation, sign and return it along with the required documentation according to the instructions. Questions regarding eligible service or how to document service should be directed to the HESC Scholarship Unit at 1-888-697-4372. The Veterans Tuition Award Supplement is also available at the Student Financial Center in Campus Center G-26.

Once you have established your eligibility, you must apply for payment. While you need only establish your eligibility once, you must apply for payment each year. Apply online by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and then linking to the TAP on the Web application. Veterans who do not anticipate filing a FAFSA may call HESC at 1-88-697-4372 to request a Scholarship Grant Payment Application.

All applications must be completed by June 30 of the academic year for which payment is sought. To learn more about programs and benefits for veterans visit the veterans.ny.gov website.

Regents Awards for Children of Deceased and Disabled Veterans

New York State residents who are children of certain deceased or disabled veterans will receive $450 per year, regardless of need, to attend institutions within New York State. (Read More).