Report a Complaint

How to Report a Complaint 

The University Police Department is committed to transparency when receiving complaints. In addition to our processes and investigation, all complaints and the investigative results are reported out to the Independent Review Committee for their review and comment.

All complaints will be investigated regardless of the manner they were submitted. Any member of this department receiving a complaint regarding an employee will immediately notify an on-duty supervisor, and advise the complainant of their ability to speak to a supervisor about the matter and their option to utilize our University Police Department Feedback Form.

The supervisor shall make every effort to gather the pertinent information about the complaint, which shall be handled as a personal & confidential matter. Information regarding the complainant, the employee in question, and the associated details shall be forwarded to the Chief of Police for investigation and action.


Investigation Process

The responsibility for the investigation of all complaints against an employee lies with the Chief of Police. All complaints will be fully investigated in accordance with General Order 52.1.1, "Investigation of Misconduct and Citizen Complaints" which may be reviewed in the UPD Policy Manual. Our ability to resolve a complaint to a judicious conclusion may depend on the continued cooperation of the complainant and witnesses.


Notification of Disposition

We will advise a complainant, when possible, that a complaint has been received and that it is being investigated. Upon the adjudication of a citizen generated complaint, the complainant will be notified as to the results of the investigation conducted.

Investigations of departmental personnel, any disciplinary action is taken, and any release of information will be conducted in accordance with New York State Civil Service Rules and Regulations and the collective bargaining agreements established between the employee bargaining agencies and the State of New York.