Engage Children in Meaningful and Relevant Classroom Learning
Build on your experience and knowledge and become a more effective elementary school teacher of students in grades 1-6.
The master's in childhood education provides you with advanced instructional techniques that enable children to improve their literacy language, listening, and learning skills while broadening their understanding of math, science, and social studies concepts. Our coursework emphasizes student engagement to build conceptual knowledge through strategic and targeted instruction to meet the needs of diverse learners. The program includes focused coursework on literacy development and instruction.
Increase your understanding of current education standards, technology, classroom strategies, and assessment methods, and learn how to identify and intervene when students encounter challenges.
If you hold initial New York State (NYS) teacher certification in childhood education, or if you already hold permanent NYS teacher certification in another content area, the master's in childhood education enables you to pursue professional certification to teach grades 1-6. To enter the program, you must possess initial teaching certification in childhood education.
This curriculum is regularly updated to include current best practices of professionals working in the field. Coursework can be completed part-time online or part-time or full-time on campus.
- Classroom Literacy Instruction
- Children's Literature
- Strategic Intervention to Prevent Literacy Difficulties
- Literacy in Society
- Teaching Writing, B-6
- Teaching Social Studies, B-6
- Data-Based Decision Making in Literacy Assessment, Policy, and Practice
- Teaching Mathematics in the Elementary School
- Science for Children
Elective Courses (choose one)
- Language Acquisition
- Integrated Literacy Instruction, B-6
- Media Literacy
- Early Literacy Development, B-2
- Literacy for English Language Learners
- Assessment in Education
- OR Approved University course as advised
For more information, contact Reisha Rieder at email@example.com.
This teacher preparation program is accredited by the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC) for the ten-year period of April 30, 2011 to April 30, 2021.
To pursue professional certification once you complete the program, you must request the University recommend you to the New York State Department of Education.
Median Annual Salaries: Albany, NY
- Elementary Teacher: $63,277
- Middle School Teacher: $60,327
This program is approved for licensure or certification in New York State and the institution has not made a determination regarding the educational requirements for any other state.
Learning objectives that UAlbany students are expected to attain through their course of study within their academic program.
- Our students demonstrate an understanding of the literacy knowledge and instruction appropriate for educational and/or community settings.
- Students apply their understanding of diversity, equity, and technology to educational and/or community settings.
- Students apply their content knowledge and understanding of literacy practices to the education and/or community setting of their choice through a reflective essay or inquiry project.
Careers and Advisement
The Pathways Into Education (PIE) Center is the central office on campus serving undergraduate, graduate, and prospective students interested in pursuing careers in education and programs leading to teacher certification.
Please call or email to schedule an appointment.
Email Graduate Advisement