Transferring Credit

Courses are accepted for transfer credit provided that a grade of C- or higher, or an S (Satisfactory), was achieved and the individual course is parallel to a course offered at the University at Albany. A maximum number of 90 transfer credits from two-year colleges, and/or four-year colleges or a combination of colleges, may be applied toward University at Albany baccalaureate degree requirements. 

Note for Spring 2020 Transfer Courses: 

Per recommended State University of New York policy, transfer credit will be awarded for Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grades earned in University at Albany equivalent courses and will be done so according to the grading scale of the transfer institution. 

View our Transfer Course Equivalents.
View our Advanced Placement (AP) Course Equivalents.

An estimate of the total number of credits accepted for transfer will be made when admission is granted. Every effort will be made to provide a degree audit and evaluation prior to the payment of the enrollment deposit. Once an enrollment deposit is received, a tentative evaluation of course credits and degree progress will be available through MyUAlbany. The tentative evaluation is subject to final approval and modification following the initial advisement and programming session. This session occurs during the Transfer Planning Conference and a review of the evaluation of coursework is offered. All transfer students are required to attend a Transfer Orientation.

Except for the University's writing requirements, for which a grade of C or higher or S is required, transfer work graded D+, D or D- in a course that applied to one or more of the University's General Education requirements may be applied toward fulfilling the requirements. This is true even though the student received no graduation credit for the course.

The transfer student's designated class standing (class year) is determined by the number of credits accepted for transfer (see the "Class Standing" section of the Undergraduate Bulletin). However, for many majors (combined major/minor in the sciences, for example) overall class standing should not be construed to mean that the student is necessarily on schedule within major/minor sequence. This is especially true for students who transfer to the University from technical and applied programs, or for those who change major interest and/or career goals at the time of transfer.

The prospective transfer student should examine closely those sections of the Undergraduate Bulletin which deal with minor requirements, residence requirements, the General Education requirements and the writing requirement.

Appealing Transfer Credit

If you do not agree with the University’s decision regarding the granting or placement of credit, you have the right to submit an appeal to the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education.

If after submitting an appeal, you do not agree with the University at Albany’s decision, students transferring from another SUNY institution may submit an appeal to the SUNY System Provost.

The SUNY Provost will respond to your appeal within five business days from receipt of the completed appeal application. If the decision finds merit to change the course to meet a major requirement, the University at Albany will be notified to take appropriate action.