Financing your degree
Cost of Attendance
  • In-state tuition rate: $471 per credit.
  • Non-resident rate: $982 per credit.
  • Students exclusively enrolled in fully online programs: $471 per credit for NYS residents and $565 per credit for non-residents.
  • Please visit the Office of Student Accounts for more information on cost of attendance, inclusive of student fees.

The School of Public Health offers several scholarships to incoming students who demonstrate merit and meet eligibility criteria. Students who wish to be considered for one of these awards must submit a complete application for entry into the School of Public Health by January 15. 

David Axelrod Fellowship: 

  • Awarded annually to one entering MPH or MS student.
  • Awarded based on academic merit, financial need, and commitment to a career in public health. 
  • Applicants must apply by January 15 to be considered.

William Randolph Hearst Fellowship: 

  • Awarded annually to one entering MPH or MS student.
  • Awarded for academic merit and commitment to and interest in serving an underrepresented community.
  • Applicants must be a member of one of the following underrepresented groups: African-American; Latino; Native American/Alaska Native; Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander.
  • Applicants must apply by January 15 to be considered.

The CDPHP Scholars Program:

  • Established by the Capital District Physician’s Health Plan.
  • Awarded to incoming graduate students (must be a New York resident) pursuing an MPH or MS degree through either the Department of Health Policy and Management or the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics.
  • Recipients must demonstrate academic achievement and a demonstrated  interest in health administration, health promotion, or epidemiology.
  • Preference given to students who currently reside in one of the 24 counties served by CDPHP: Albany, Broome, Chenango, Clinton, Columbia, Delaware, Dutchess, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Greene, Hamilton, Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Madison, Montgomery, Oneida, Orange, Otsego, Rensselaer, St. Lawrence, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Tioga, Ulster, Warren, Washington. 
  • Applicants must apply by January 15 to be considered.

Carson Carr Diversity Teaching/Graduate Assistantships:

  • Awarded to entering underrepresented or disadvantaged students pursuing a PhD, DrPH, MPH, or MS degree, with priority given to doctoral students.
  • The stipend and tuition award varies depending upon degree and program. The award is renewable up to four years for doctoral students and three years for masters students.
  • To be considered, students must submit all School of Public Health application materials and the Carson Carr supplemental application and essay by January 15 or the priority deadline of the degree to which the student is applying, whichever is earlier. Visit SOPHAS Funding to access and submit the Carson Carr Graduate Diversity Fellowship Application for SOPHAS applicants. All questions regarding the Carson Carr Graduate Diversity Fellowship should be directed to [email protected].

Presidential Doctoral Fellowships for Research Training in Health Disparities:

  • Awarded to entering PhD or DrPH students at the University at Albany who wish to receive trans-disciplinary training in health disparities.
  • Students seeking admission to the fellowship program must also be an applicant to a doctoral program at the University at Albany.
  • The applicant must be accepted and nominated by their doctoral program, and must provide the fellowship program with a one page essay on their interest in health disparities issues and research no later than February 1.Visit CEMHD Fellowship for more information on the fellowship program and application process.

The Adell Y. Smith HANYS Healthcare Leadership Scholarship: 

  • Awarded to a graduate student interested in pursuing a career in healthcare or healthcare management.
  • The Donor's first preference is that the recipient(s) is an African-American female student, with second preference of a female student from an underrepresented population. Adell Y. Smith established this endowed scholarship with appreciation to HANYS (Healthcare Association of NYS) for her 28 years of service, to encourage students toward leadership roles, and to promote diversity within healthcare and healthcare management.

Nancy Alfred Persily Memorial Scholarship: 

  • Awarded to a University at Albany student with demonstrated financial need, with preference given to public health majors.

Edward & Frances Gildea George Scholarships: 

  • Awarded to students who demonstrate academic excellence.

Birkhead Scholarship: 

  • Awarded to an entering student in epidemiology.
  • Established in honor of Dr. Gus Birkhead, Deputy Commissioner and Director of the Office of Public Health, New York State Department of Health, for the purpose of promoting academic excellence in public health.
  • The scholarship seeks to support a student with a strong passion for public service. 

Janet D. Perloff Scholarship:

  • Awarded to an MSW/MPH student in the joint degree program in Social Welfare and Public Health who demonstrates academic excellence, leadership and an interest in a career which combines public health and social welfare.
  • Established in memory of Dr. Janet Perloff, who was the School of Social Welfare Dean for Research and a profession of Social Welfare and Public Health.
  • Submit the Perloff Scholarship Application for consideration no later than June 21.

Strengthening the Public Health Workforce Scholarship Program (SPHWSP)

  • The SPHWSP provides scholarships that cover full tuition and fees for the six course, fully online Graduate Certificate in Public Health Fundamentals and Principles. 
  • Must be U.S. citizens or have permanent residency.
  • Must be entering first-semester graduate students.
  • Applicants who are from historically underrepresented populations, first-generation college students, and/or rural residents are strongly encouraged to apply.
  • Apply by June 1 for fall 2024 admission and December 1 for Spring 2025 admission.

Disclaimer: Scholarships are limited so not all applicants who meet eligibility requirements will receive one.  Federal employees are not eligible for this scholarship. 

Visit SPHWSP for more information on the scholarship.

Doctoral Student Graduate/Teaching Assistantships

Funding for PhD students varies by semester and by department. Graduate assistantships are awarded to incoming PhD students based on merit. No supplemental application is required.  Decisions are made by the individual department and students will be notified by the department if they are selected to receive an assistantship.

Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA)

You can complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), listing the University at Albany School code: 002835. The Office of Financial Aid provides newly accepted graduate students with financial aid eligibility packages in mid March. For questions about eligibility, please contact the Office of Financial Aid directly at [email protected] or 518-442-3202.

MPH students should include in the application the need for summer financial aid to help cover the costs of the 6 credit summer internship, which is typically completed over the summer between the first and second year of study. Please note that the Office Financial Aid is not able to provide graduate students with financial aid eligibility prior to confirming acceptance.

Graduate students admitted as "non-degree" are only eligible for federal aid if they are taking approved University at Albany undergraduate courses required for admission into a University at Albany graduate degree program.

Your registration status for financial aid depends on the number of enrolled credits. A minimum registration of 5 credits in a degree program is required to receive federal financial aid.

Most financial aid awards require an acceptance decision by the aid recipient before the aid can be processed further. If you have been awarded a Federal Subsidized/Unsubsidized Stafford loan, you must notify financial aid of the amount you accept. If you choose to decline an award, you must inform Financial Aid of this decision. For more information on Federal and New York aid programs, access to financial forms, and how to accept your financial aid, please visit the Office of Financial Aid.

Funding for New York State Health Department Employees

Full-time employees at a New York State local health department or the New York State Department of Health who are enrolled in a public health graduate program in the School of Public Health may apply for tuition assistance from the Public Health Leaders of Tomorrow (PHLOT) program. Information on eligibility criteria and how to apply for a tuition award is available on the PHLOT web page.

Other Funding Opportunities
  • The School of Public Health Internship and Career Services Office provides students with information via weekly emails about part-time jobs, graduate assistantships, student assistant positions, fellowships, and grants that become available during the academic year. 
  • Many students also receive funding while completing their MPH internship, either through an internship fellowship which is applied directly to the student account to cover the cost of tuition, fees and living expenses associated with the internship, or as a student assistant paid directly by the internship organization.
  • The University at Albany 's Graduate School provides information and opportunities to fund your education at Graduate Education External Funding.
  • The Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health (ASPPH) provides extensive information and tips on how to find scholarships on their Financing Your Degree website. ASPPH has also produced an informative webinar on How to Finance Your Public Health Degree.
  • We encourage you to start the process of searching for financial support as early as possible, as most scholarship deadlines are October, November, and December - before the application deadlines for most academic programs.
International Students
Choosing a degree

Choose a public health program using the "Programs" tab on the navigation. If you are unsure which program is a good fit for you, we are happy to assist you. You can email us at [email protected]

Application Requirements

Most degree programs at the School of Public Health use SOPHAS (the centralized application service used when applying to graduate programs at many schools of public health). Applications to the MS and PhD in Biomedical Sciences, MPH/MSW, MPH/MD, MSN, certificate programs, and non-degree study are submitted through The Graduate School at the University at Albany.

In all cases you will need:

1. Completion of a degree program equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree prior to enrolling.

2. Official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), IELTS, or Duolingo scores if your native language is not English. We require minimum TOEFL score of 98, IELTS 7.0, or 125 Duolingo. English language proficiency scores are not required for students who have  been enrolled for a minimum of four full-time semesters in a U.S. college or university within four years of the time of application with a B average, or who have completed a degree with a minimum B average in a country where English is the official language and language of instruction. 

3. Specific admission requirements for the degree and program of study to which you are applying. Please review the program specific admissions guidelines on each program page carefully prior to applying to be sure you meet all requirements.

All official documents must be submitted directly to SOPHAS or to the University at Albany (MS and PhD in Biomedical Sciences, MPH/MSW, MSN, and certificate programs are not submitted through SOPHAS). It is not necessary to submit additional copies of materials to the School of Public Health.

  • All academic transcripts and credentials from international universities attended must be evaluated by World Education Services (WES) and submitted by WES directly to the appropriate application system. It may take up to 6 weeks to receive the WES evaluation, so it is important to plan for this extra time when submitting your credentials to WES to ensure that degree application deadlines are met. Please note that SOPHAS and the University at Albany will only accept evaluations from the World Education Services (WES). SOPHAS applicants will receive a 10% reduction in the cost of the WES evaluation.
  • Personal statement describing background, goals, and objectives in your proposed area of study
  • Resume
  • A minimum of three letters of reference - at least two must be from academic faculty.
  • Official TOEFL, IELTS must be sent to the appropriate application system.
  • Official Duolingo scores must be sent to the University at Albany (SOPHAS does not accept Duolingo scores). Students may include unofficial scores in their SOPHAS application, but official scores must be received by the University at Albany.
  • Completion of all sections in the application

Do not send copies of your score results directly to SOPHAS, the School of Public Health, or the University at Albany as they will not be considered official. The scores must be sent directly from ETS to satisfy the application requirement of official scores.

Applicants whose academic training was not in the U.S., but who are in the U.S. at the time the application is submitted MUST adhere to all requirements as outlined for international students on SOPHAS.

English Speaking Country List

The English language proficiency test is not required for international students from the following countries:

Antigua & Barbuda
Micronesia, Federated States of
New Zealand
South Africa
St. Kitt and Nevis
St. Lucia
St. Vincent and Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos Islands
United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales)
Virgin Islands

Obtaining a Visa

1. Submit the Financial Affidavit Form: Proof of funding must be presented before the University will issue the I-20 documents necessary to obtain a visa. All international students must submit the Financial Affidavit Form, verifying possession of sufficient funds to cover the cost of tuition, fees, living expenses, books and supplies. 

Once the Financial Affidavit Form has been submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions, the I-20 documents will be issued. Request express shipping of immigration documents.

Although proof of finances is only required for the first year of study, it is the responsibility of each student to ensure they have financial support sufficient to pay for all tuition, fees and living expenses for the entire duration of the academic program. 

The Office of Graduate Admissions will not issue I-20 documents to international students who have not paid the enrollment deposit.

2. Obtain your I-20 (F-1 visa) or DS-2019 (J-1 visa) form

The I-20 form is a document issued by the university to certify to the U.S. government that you are eligible for a student visa. The initial I-20 form is mailed with your official acceptance letter (1) after you have been officially accepted to the program and (2) after you have provided proof of finances to cover the cost of tuition, fees and living expenses.

The DS-2019 Form is issued by the university to certify to the U.S. government that you are eligible for the J-1 Trainee Visa. The J-1 visa is typically issued to individuals coming to the U.S. as students who are receiving funding to pursue a specific program of study, research, training or a cultural enrichment program.

After receiving your I-20 form or your DS-2019 form it must be signed and brought to the U.S. Embassy in your country.

3. Pay your SEVIS Fee

The SEVIS fee must be paid in order for you to obtain an F-1 or J-1 visa. You cannot apply for your visa until the fee is paid.

Please note that while citizens of Canada and Bermuda are exempt from the requirement to possess a visa to enter the U.S., they are still required to pay the SEVIS fee.

Please refer to the Student and Exchange Visitor website for more information 

All students who pay the SEVIS fee will receive a formal receipt that should be used as proof of fee payment. To pay the SEVIS fee online, go to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcements website then select File the 1-901 Form online and follow the instructions.

Follow the instructions specific to the U.S. embassy of your country of application and schedule an appointment.

To obtain a student (F-1) or an exchange visitor (J-1) visa you must:

Once the visa has been approved your passport will be stamped with the name of the school.

  1. Bring verification of official acceptance into the program.
  2. Have formally confirmed that you plan to attend the University at Albany School of Public Health.
  3. Provide a copy of your Student Financial Affidavit or evidence of financial support.
  4. Bring a passport from your home country that is valid for 6 months after your program's end.
  5. Provide any evidence that you might have to demonstrate that you have strong ties to your home country and that you plan to return to your home country at the conclusion of your study and any period of authorized employment.

4. I-94 form

The I-94 form will be issued to you once you cross the border into the United States. It must be completed by foreign citizens being admitted into the country on a non-immigrant status. Once completed, the form is evaluated by a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officer who will approve your admission into the country for an authorized time period. This time period is typically based on the length of time it will take you to obtain your degree. After approval, the stamped form will usually be stapled into your passport. Do not lose this form because it is proof that you have entered the country legally. This form must also be presented to International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) once you have arrived on campus.

Enrolling in Classes & Finding Housing
  1. Register for classes. You must be registered for classes within 30 days after your visa has been issued. Contact your department directly to obtain advisement and begin the registration process.
  2. Start looking for housing. Both on and off-campus housing options exist. Visit the International Student and Scholar Services website for more housing information. If you are relying on public transportation, you should look for housing near bus routes, especially the University at Albany shuttle bus to the Health Sciences Campus.
Working in the U.S.

If you're on an F-1 visa, you can work on campus as long as you are in good academic standing and are taking a full-course of study. Get more information about on campus employment for international students.

You may work off campus only if the off campus job is related to your course of study and is considered Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Off campus employment (CPT) requires the approval of the International Students Service and Scholars office.

Arriving in Albany
  1. Go directly to the International Student and Scholar Services Office (ISSS)

    The Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) is the resource and advisement center for UAlbany's international student population. Services provided include U.S. Immigration counseling, cultural and academic orientation, coordination of social events, a Language Partners Program, and personal and University procedural concerns.

    Science Library G-40
    University at Albany
    1400 Washington Avenue
    Albany, NY 12222 U.S.A.
    Email: [email protected]
    Phone: 518-591-8189

    Check in with ISSS so they know you have arrived in the country and to present the I-94 form, as well as have any questions or concerns answered. In addition, please make sure you attend the New International Student Orientation program that occurs before the start of each semester. You should also plan to check in with your department and attend all School of Public Orientation activities that are held the week before classes start each fall.

    The International Student and the School of Public Health orientations are required, so be sure to verify the dates of these orientations before making travel arrangements to Albany, NY.


  2. Go to the School of Public Health

    The School of Public Health is located on the Health Sciences Campus of the University at Albany in Rensselaer, NY.  You can take the CDTA #114 from the University at Albany Uptown Campus to the Health Sciences Campus. Get the bus schedule. Please note that the #114 is available on weekdays only.

School of Public Health Admissions

1 University Place
Rensselaer, NY 12144
United States