Program of Study
Learn from established experts in the innovative disciplines of data science, machine learning and artificial intelligence. The curriculum provides you a comprehensive experience focusing on the three key areas of topological data analysis, machine learning and statistics.
Develop proficiency in the most current data science tools, including general programming skills in Python and R, neural network software such as TensorFlow, and topological data analysis tools such as Ayasdi's Mapper, Eirene and Ripser. As you gain skills and develop specialized interests, you will work with department advisors to create a learning track that is tailored to your personal career goals.
Modern Computing for Mathematicians
Topological Data Analysis Courses
- Topological Data Analysis I
- Topological Data Analysis II
Machine Learning Courses
- Function Theory and Functional Analysis for Applications
- Optimization Methods and Nonlinear Programming
- Machine Learning
- Introduction to Theory of Statistics I
- Applied Statistics
- Nonparametric Statistics
(Choose one course)
- Practical methods in topological data analysis
- Practical methods in machine learning
- Computational Methods in Statistical Inference
(Choose two courses)
- Advanced Linear Algebra
- Introduction to Stochastic Processes I
- Additional practicum course
The practicums require comprehensive analysis of data sets along with oral presentations or poster presentations of the results.
For more information, contact Boris Goldfarb at 518-442-4633 or [email protected].
Nearly every industry needs insight from data science experts to solve complex business challenges, improve customer experiences, and develop innovative products and services. With an MS in Data Science degree from UAlbany, you will be at the cutting edge of a new era of intelligent data utilization.
Potential job titles include:
- Algorithm developer
- Business intelligence analyst
- Data scientist
- Data architect
- Data engineer
- Data mining
- Distributed systems engineer
- Machine learning engineer
Learning objectives that UAlbany students are expected to attain through their course of study within their academic program.
- Gain advanced understanding of three areas of mathematics.
- Develop deep understanding and working knowledge of one chosen area of mathematics, which can come from one of the areas of the faculty expertise, such as analysis, algebra, topology, or statistics.