Program of Study
As a research-intensive program, the history PhD at UAlbany culminates in a dissertation. You will complete core coursework, including a teaching practicum and a colloquium on the theory and practice of history. The research tool requirement of the PhD is your opportunity to demonstrate proficiency in quantitative methods, foreign languages or multimedia approaches to research and publishing.
Choose one of five concentrations: cultural history, gender history, social and economic history, public history or international, global and comparative history. Your specialization will determine your course selections and give you deep background in an area of professional interest, with guidance from highly active research faculty.
- Teaching Practicum
- Colloquium on the Theory and Practice of History
- Dissertation Proposal
- Courses as advised, including two history research seminars, one of which must also be in the student’s area of geographic specialization, and two reading seminars in the major field, and one history reading seminar appropriate to the required minor field.
Demonstrated competence in the content and research methods of at least one cognate discipline.
Research Tool Requirement
Demonstrate reading proficiency in one foreign language, or in quantitative methods, or in multimedia methods in historical research and publishing.
Comprehensive Doctoral Qualifying Examination
An exam in a major thematic concentration with one or more geographic specializations, in a minor thematic concentration, and in a cognate discipline.
Full Time Study in Residence
Dissertation and Oral dissertation defense
Learning objectives that UAlbany students are expected to attain through their course of study within their academic program.
- Identify and interpret significant and innovative works of historical scholarship in at least two geographic or thematic areas of concentration.
- Engage in primary source research wherein s/he identifies and interprets original evidence, develops original arguments, and demonstrates competence in critical analysis.
- Write in a clear and concise historical style.
- Develop an understanding of historiography, and summarize a body of scholarship by identifying and analyzing its strengths and weaknesses and explaining its evolution.
- Engage in extended and substantial original research that advances historical knowledge and makes an original contribution to the historical field, as determined by self-reported conference participation, publications, and grants.
Perfect your historical research and communication skills by earning your PhD in History from the University at Albany. The doctoral program prepares you to become a professional historian. You will gain the knowledge and expertise to succeed in careers across the public and private sectors, from tenure-track teaching to museum curation and information management.