Admission and Applications

Admission Requirements

General Studies’ students are those individuals who wish to take undergraduate courses.  They are admitted as a nondegree student.

Who is eligible to be a General Studies student?

  • High school graduates.
  • Students who hold their GED (General Equivalency Diploma).
  • Students who previously attended college.These students must be in good academic standing within the 12 months prior to applying for admission as a General Studies student.  Transcripts of previous college work need to be provided.
  • College graduates.
  • High school seniors who excel in their coursework.  These students must follow a specific admission procedure listed below.

Who is not eligible to be a General Studies student?

  • Students wishing to take graduate coursework.  These students should contact Graduate Admissions.
  • First-time college students who were denied admission by the Undergraduate Admissions Office at UAlbany.
  • Students who were previously matriculated at UAlbany and have not received a degree. These students must contact the Office of The Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education, Department of Withdrawal and Readmission.  They can be reached at 518-442-3950.

Admission Procedures

General Studies Students
General Studies students are required to complete an application for admission each semester the student wishes to register. Once submitted, the application will be received in our office the next business day. Applicants will receive by email admission confirmation and registration information generally within two business days after submission. First-time applicants who previously attended college must also provide a transcript of prior college work.

High School Students
If you are currently attending high school as a senior, you may be eligible for admission to the Office of General Studies and Summer Sessions.  You may register via mail, fax or submit as a scanned email attachment the High School Application.  Please make sure to follow the instructions listed below before applying for admission.  High school students may only register for 100- or 200-level courses.  Enrollment is on a space-available basis, with priority given to students currently enrolled in colleges and universities.

To apply for admission, high school students must:

  1. Submit an application to the Office of General Studies and Summer Sessions. 
  2. Attach to your application a current high school transcript.
  3. Attach a letter of reference from your guidance counselor.  This letter, written on school letterhead, should attest to your emotional and intellectual readiness for college coursework and indicate that you can reasonably be expected to compete academically with university students.
  4. Meet any and all stated prerequisites for the course(s) in question.

A few University courses are made available to students at a reduced cost through the University in the High School Program.  Check with your high school guidance counselor or academic department at your school for details. 

International Students
International students, individuals studying in the United States on a non-immigrant, temporary visa that allows for academic study at the post-secondary level, that wish to take nondegree, undergraduate classes at the University at Albany must provide the following information when applying in order to process the application: country of citizenship; U.S. Visa type; I-94 expiration date or SEVIS I-20/DS-2019 program end date; Passport # and a copy of their Passport bio page. Permanent residents, individuals who have been granted authorization to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis, must supply their Green Card # as well as a copy of their Green Card.