Why do I need to register with DAISS? 

Unlike high school, there are no IEPs or 504s in college. Students are responsible for identifying themselves as needing an accommodation, then obtaining and submitting documentation that demonstrates their disability, so their needs can be reasonably met. 

To obtain an accommodation, you must first register with Disability Access and Inclusion Student Services (DAISS). Whether you need accommodations related to academics, housing, parking and/or any other area, we are your starting point.

UAlbany students are diverse and so are their disabilities. Some of the most common disabilities for which students have accommodations include ADHD/ADD, PTSD, learning disabilities, medical disabilities, mobility disabilities, autism spectrum disorder, sensory disabilities and recovery from addiction.

No matter your situation, we are here to work with you. Review the different types of accommodations to learn about what is available. 


How do I register with DAISS?

Step 1: Make an appointment with DAISS

Request an appointment. Appointments are available from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. We apologize but we cannot offer appointments at any other time.

Step 2: Submit documentation on your disability

Please submit your documentation before your appointment via email ([email protected]) or via fax (518-442-5400).  

This paperwork must document your disability. The documentation must be current and support the accommodation(s) you are requesting. “Current” is defined as: 

  • Within the past year for psychiatric disabilities 

  • Within the past five years for learning disabilities, ADD or ADHD, autism spectrum disorder, etc. 

  • No limit for permanent physical or sensory disabilities 

UAlbany follows Educational Testing Services' (ETS) Disability Documentation guidelines. If your documentation doesn't quite match ETS guidelines, feel free to reach out to us anyway.

Examples of appropriate documentation include the most recent psychological or educational evaluation conducted by your high school or a letter from the medical or mental health professional treating your condition. Your provider can be a doctor, nurse practitioner, psychiatrist, psychologist or any other licensed healthcare professional. 

If you submit a letter, it must be on the provider’s letterhead and list your diagnosis, your current treatment and how it affects you as a college student. 


  • Incoming first-year students (freshmen) may submit an IEP or 504 plan from high school as a supplement to your documentation. However, these documents typically explain what accommodations you previously received but don't generally explain why. Therefore, an IEP or 504 plan may not sufficient documentation on its own.

  • Transfer students and graduate students who were registered with disability services at their previous institution should check their policy on documentation. Some colleges can share a copy of your documentation with UAlbany at your request.

  • Visiting students who are registered with disability services at their home institution should simply submit a copy of their accommodation letter. 

Step 3: Meet with our staff to obtain an accommodation letter

During this meeting, you and a professional staff member will review your documentation and then discuss the following items: 

  • Any past accommodations you have received and if they are reasonable for college 

  • Any potential new accommodations 

  • Additional resources and services available to you 

  • Our policies and procedures, as well as other information included in our welcome packet 

Next, you and the professional staff member will create your accommodation letter. 

You'll need to share this accommodation letter with your professors and/or University staff members, as appropriate, to receive accommodation. For example: 

  • A student who needs academic accommodations should share their accommodation letter with their professors at the start of each semester. 

  • A student who needs housing accommodations should share their accommodation letter with the Department of Residential Life before housing sign-ups begin. 

  • A student who needs parking accommodations should share their accommodation letter with Parking & Mass Transit Services to obtain a temporary accessible parking permit. 

What if my documentation is denied? 

We are always happy to review additional documentation related to an accommodation decision. Please send any additional documentation via email ([email protected]) or via fax (518-442-5400).

Additionally, students can appeal accommodation decisions in writing. Please send a letter addressed to the ADA Compliance Committee to [email protected] with the following information: 

  • An explanation of the decision you are appealing 

  • The reason(s) for your appeal 

  • Supporting documentation 

Students who are denied in appeal may file a complaint with the New York State Division for Human Rights.