Frequently Asked Questions

Where is CAPS located?

We are located at 400 Patroon Creek Blvd., Suite 104 on the 1st floor about a mile from the Uptown Campus. Free shuttle buses make stops every half hour from Collins Circle, Science Library, and Indian Quad. Free parking is available for students who drive here.

What type of services do you provide?

We provide counseling for individuals and couples as well as support groups. We also provide assessments in a variety of areas including learning issues. CAPS provides consultations to students, faculty/staff, and families on student-related matters in person, by telephone (518-442-5800), or by email. Along with clinical services, we provide programs on campus in a variety of areas relevant to a campus community such as alcohol/substance use, healthy relationships, stress management, body image and eating including our major theme weeks: Alcohol Awareness Week, Suicide Prevention Awareness Week, Sexuality Week, and Celebrate EveryBODY Week. We also provide guest lectures in courses upon the request of faculty.

Who provides services?

Services are provided by licensed psychologists, a post doctoral fellow, and advanced doctoral interns in clinical and counseling psychology programs. The trainees are supervised by licensed psychologists.

Is there a fee for students?

There are no "out-of-pocket" payments since our services are already covered by tuition and student fees.

Is counseling confidential?

Yes. Although we are required by law to keep a record of our contact with you, these records do not become part of any other University record. There are, however, important legally mandated exceptions to confidentiality. These include: (1) When a client is in immediate danger of causing harm to self or someone else (as in the case of suicide), relevant others may be notified to secure safety. In addition, if such harm is likely, New York state law may require a report to the County Director of Community Services possibly impacting the client's current and future firearm ownership; (2) The clinician must report any incident of current child or elder abuse, neglect, or maltreatment in order to protect the individuals involved; (3) In the adjudication of legal matters, the court may subpoena your clinician or your clinical records. Otherwise, written authorization will be obtained from you before disclosing confidential information about you.

Is medication treatment available?

Yes, we work collaboratively with Student Health Services and can provide a referral to them for medication treatment or consultation.

How do I make an appointment?

A student can request an appointment via phone at (518)442-5800, or by visiting us in person.

How diverse is the staff?

CAPS staff are diverse by race, ethnicity, culture, nationality, language, age, gender, sexual orientation, disability, and religion. All of our staff have training in providing culturally competent services and are committed to working with all students. Click here for more information about our staff.

Besides English, what other languages are available?

Spanish, Mandarin, Italian, and Urdu

What can I talk about in session?

You get to decide what you want to discuss. No subject is taboo.

Is there a way to withdraw from school for psychological reasons?

Yes, for more information go to:

Medical Withdrawal & Readmission Brochure and Office of Undergraduate Education

If I told my counselor that I was drinking underage, would it be reported to police?

No. This is in accordance with our confidentiality policy.

How often can I see a therapist?

Frequency of sessions is negotiated between the therapist and client according to the client's needs and circumstances. Most clients are seen weekly or biweekly.