Apply for New York State Residency

Current-Semester Application Deadlines
(For example, applications for the Spring 2018 semester are due not later than March 1, 2018.)
  • Fall - October 1
  • Winter - January 2
  • Spring - March 1
  • Summer Sessions - July 1
Completing the Application

If you are charged tuition at the out-of-state rate and believe you are eligible for in-state tuition rates, you will need to apply for New York State Residency for Tuition Billing Purposes.

  1. Are you financially independent (emancipated) and no longer receive any financial support from your parents or legal guardians?
    Complete Sections A and B of the application.
  2. Do you receive financial support from your parents, legal guardians, or spouse?
    Complete Sections A and C of the application.
Signing the Application

Applications must be signed before a Notary Public by anyone whose personal information appears on the application. All students must sign the attestation on page 2; all parents, legal guardians, or spouses must sign the attestation on page 3.

Providing Documentation*

A minimum of three (3) documents from the list below must be submitted. Documents must bear issue dates of one year or more prior to the start date of the semester, term or module for which you are applying for residency. Students claiming financial independence must provide evidence of both financial independence as well as a New York State domicile (see Column 1, Independent Student). Students who are financially dependent upon parents or legal guardians must submit supporting documents in the name of the parent/guardian (see Column 2, Dependent Student).

Definition of Domicile: A fixed, permanent home for legal purposes to which a person returns after a period of absence.

Download the Application for NYS Residency  as an Adobe PDF file.

Acceptable Document Type 1. Independent Student
(Application Sections A & B)
2. Dependent Student (Application Sections A & C)
Alien Registration Card or Visa (Non-U.S. Citizens only) Permanent Residents, Refugees and Asylees, including those with pending applications, certain visa holders** and some undocumented aliens may establish NYS residency in accordance with these policies. **A1-A3, E1, E2, G1-G5, H1B, H1C, H4, I, K1-K4, L1, L2, N8, N9, O1, O3, S5-S7, T1-T4, U1-U4, and V1-V3. Student Student and Parent
The following documents may be used as evidence of domicile:
NYS Driver License NYS Learner Permit NYS Identification Card Student Student and Parent
NYS Vehicle Registration Student Parent/Guardian
NYS Voter Registration Student Parent/Guardian
Signed NYS Residential Lease, Deed, or Property Taxes Student Parent/Guardian
Utility Bill, e.g.: Electric/Gas/Heating/Water/Sewer/Cable (Currently held account: one current statement and one issued 12 months prior to the start of the semester.) Student Parent/Guardian
The following documents may be used to demonstrate financial independence, and in some cases, domicile*:
*Signed NYS and Federal Income Tax Returns (From prior year.) Student Parent/Guardian
* NYS Bank Account (Currently held account: one current statement and one issued 12 months prior to the start of the semester.) Student Parent/Guardian
TA/RA/GA departmental offer letter with signatures Student N/A
Form 1099; Form W-2; Trust Documents, etc. Student N/A
Exceptions to Domicile Rule:
Military Home of Record – Form DD-4 (Dependents and spouses of Full-Time Active Members of the U.S. Armed Forces stationed out-of-state, whose Home of Record is NYS.) N/A Parent/Guardian
Active Duty Military Orders (Members of U.S. Armed Forces on Full-Time Active Duty and stationed in NYS, and their spouse and dependents.) Student Parent/Guardian
Official/Final High School Transcript w/award of degree. Student N/A
Affidavit of Intent to Legalize Immigration Status Student Student
*Documents must support the claim to have resided in New York State for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the beginning of the semester of application.