Program of Study
In the PhD in Social and Personality Psychology program build foundational knowledge through core classes in social psychology and statistics and then proceed to specialized classes tailored to your interests.
Social and Personality Core Courses
- Social Psychology I
- Attitudes and Social Cognition
- Four specialization courses such as:
- Multivariate Analysis
- Group Dynamics
- Theories of Personality
- Research Methods in Psychology
- Psychometric Theory and Research
- Special Topics in Social Psychology
Out of Area Courses
Two courses from two different areas of specialization within Psychology PhD programs
- Statistical and Experimental Methods I
- Statistical and Experimental Methods II
Initial Research Project
Demonstrate basic research competency in your subfield of psychology
Research Tool Requirement - demonstrated proficiency in one of the following:
- Pass a foreign language test
- Course in computer programming, mathematics, electronics, biochemistry, histological techniques, foreign language, pharmacology, or advanced statistics
- Master a technique, statistical or otherwise, in the process of conducting the Initial Research Project or another research project
- Two-day general exam based on a reading list provided by the area OR
- Write a comprehensive literature review
For more information, contact Program Director Ron Friedman at [email protected].
You will engage in research-intensive study throughout your graduate training, beginning in your first year with the Initial Research Project and culminating in your doctoral dissertation.
Strengthen your research, writing, and critical-thinking skills in a collaborative environment. In the Social Area at UAlbany, you will work closely with faculty to foster learning and interest across labs. You will have the opportunity to conduct research in the lab, online, and in real-world settings.
As a doctoral candidate funding is available for conference travel and for independent research. You will have the opportunity to present and discuss research findings with peers from other universities as well as publish research articles. Gain experience teaching your own courses either in the classroom or online.
Pursue your area of specialty to make an impact on communities, corporations or individuals. Recent graduates of UAlbany's social and personality PhD program have obtained positions at Yale University, the University of North Carolina and Union College, as well as research positions in the government, military, and private sector.
With a PhD in Social and Personality Psychology potential careers include:
- Data Scientist
- Educational Program Designer
- Human Resource Manager
- Marketing Researcher
Explore the intricacies of human cognition and behavior in social environments in the doctoral program in social and personality at the University at Albany. From studying the thoughts, feelings, and behaviors of individuals to group identity and collective action you will acquire the theory, concepts and research skills to prepare for research careers in academia, data analytics, consulting, public health, and criminal justice.