I-20 Requests

As an F-1 student, you were admitted to the United States for a particular duration of status, which means that you may remain in the U.S. as long as you maintain lawful full time student status. However, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requires that you finish your program of study by the expected completion date. If you will not complete your program by the expected completion date, you must file for an extension during the 30 days before that date. Failure to file a timely application will result in loss of F-1 status and could jeopardize your legal status in the U.S.

To be eligible for an extension of stay you must:

  • Have continually maintained full-time F-1 status, AND
  • Have compelling academic or medical reasons for the delay in completion.

To apply for an extension or to request a replacement of a lost or stolen I-20, please consult the ISSS Office staff. You can download the application, or pick it up from our office.