J-1 Scholar Funding Sources

J-1 Scholar Funding Sources

Inviting an international scholar to UAlbany does not have to cost the UAlbany academic or related unit; the majority of our international scholars are self-funded. Other general sources of funding to support a scholar's work include:

  • A U.S. government agency
  • An international organization
  • The exchange visitor's government
  • The Binational Commission of the exchange visitor's country
  • The exchange visitor's employer or other organization
  • Any combination of these

Below is a short list of more specific funding resources for supporting the fostering of academic relationships with prospective scholars and the hosting of scholars in your on-campus department/unit:



  • Faculty fund for international research 



  • Chinese Scholarship Council
  • Fulbright Scholar Program


Guidelines for Proof of Funding (Bank Statements & Funding Letters)

  • If bank statement is not in English provide a translation.
  • Funding should be in US dollars. If not, please attach a currency conversion print out.
  • Must be readily available (liquid) funds. Bank statement must show total, ending balance of checking or savings account as opposed to average daily balance. Portfolios for investments, stocks, mutual funds, and other related accounts not acceptable.
  • Must be no older than 6 months from date submitted.
  • Online bank statements must indicate the account holder’s name, account number and identify the type of account.
  • Letter from a bank must dated, signed and printed on bank stationary (letterhead).