Enhance Your English Degree with Proficiency in Information
Explore the advanced study of English and its connection to information with a dual degree from UAlbany. Supplement your Master of Arts in English with a Master of Science in Information Science to develop your expertise in areas such as IT systems, libraries and information processing and records administration.
The combined MA English/MSIS curriculum reduces the total number of credits required for the two programs. This program prepares you for study at the PhD level, as well as careers in fields including education, technology, curation and archiving, content development and public relations.
Program of Study
Extend your MA studies across topics in areas including literature, cultural studies, pedagogy, film, language, philosophy, and history.
You will build a robust foundation in textual practice as you begin your program sequence in English. Further supporting coursework will help to inform your culminating master’s thesis or research tutorial project and examination. The option to choose your capstone format enables you to tailor your educational experience toward your chosen independent research project.
Pair your foundations in English with a framework of information science coursework covering topics in IT, databases, digital libraries, and web design to develop competency in statistics and research methodologies. Core studies will provide a deeper background in information systems and services as well as records management.
This dual degree program works in tandem with each department to provide you a comprehensive curriculum with a reduced total of 55 required credits.
- Textual Practices I
- One course numbered 600 or above
- Master's Thesis or Master's Research Tutorial and Examination
Selected subjects in English or other academic fields as advised. Up to 8 credits may be taken in other fields.
- Core courses: IST 601, 602, and 614
- Research and statistics competency: IST 608
- Internship: IST 668
- Archives and Records Administration - Required courses: IST 546, 547, 654 or 660, 656
- Library and Information Services - Required courses: IST 603, 605
- Information Management and Technology- Required courses: IST 533, 560, 565, 611
- Intelligence Analysis - Required courses: IST 667, EHC 557; Required tool: ITS 529
- Data Analytics - Required courses: IST 506, INF 624; Required tool: IST 529
A maximum of nine credits may be taken in other professional and academic fields as advised. Seven credits of approved course work in English must be part of the supporting courses sequence.
For more information, contact Kir Kuiken at email@example.com.