Program of Study
32 total credits minimum required to be completed as follows:
- Textual Practices AEng 500 (required)
- 18 credits in English subjects
- 4 credits at the 600-level or above
- 8 credits in English or other academic fields
- Master’s Thesis or Research Tutorial and Exam
Requirements are primarily fulfilled through electives, which provides you with a great deal of freedom to pursue your interests.
At the end of your studies, you complete a critical and/or creative project or selected readings and a final master's exam.
For more information, contact Kir Kuiken, PhD, at [email protected].
Alumni of the master's in English program are prepared to enter a broad range of fields that require critical analysis, formulation of persuasive arguments, explanatory and instructional writing, substantive editing, verbal skill, and strong writing abilities.
Some common careers for individuals who have graduated with an MA in English include: Archival assistant, brand manager, instructor, reporter, news producer, program analyst, public relations consultant, social media strategist, acquisitions editor, and content developer.
Certificate of Graduate Study English Studies
Learning objectives that UAlbany students are expected to attain through their course of study within their academic program.
- Students will read broadly and deeply in the field, and learn to make critical arguments and/or creative interventions by:
- Writing an argument or developing a research project that engages with one or more theoretical models that have been influential within English Studies
- Reading a wide range of materials in a subfield of English studies and developing an argument or other research project based on this broad reading
- Reading deeply in a narrowly focused critical debate or topic and developing an argument or other research project that draws upon this depth of reading
- Producing and improving original creative work in light of peer and instructor feedback
- Students will develop an original “capstone” project synthesizing and extending M.A. coursework:
- Research, summarize, and articulate major arguments or characteristics of a sub-field of study within English Studies
- Produce a substantial critical or creative work that makes an original intervention into a scholarly or creative tradition