English Master of Arts Degree

Program of Study

  1. English (12 credits, minimum): Courses as advised, including:
    1. Textual Practices IA – Eng 500 (4);
    2. One course numbered 600 or above (4);
    3. Eng 699 Master’s Thesis (4); or Eng 698 Master’s Research Tutorial (4) and Examination, and must do so within twelve months of completing all other coursework for the degree. Both courses involve an independent research project that has been approved by the M.A. Adviser and that is directed by a committee consisting of at least two full-time UAlbany faculty members, one of whom must be a member of the Department of English. The project will ordinarily grow out of, but must not be identical to, coursework the student has completed for the degree.
  2. Supporting courses (20 credits): Selected subjects in English or other academic fields as advised. Up to 8 credits may be taken in other fields, but this course work must be approved by the MA Director.


Completed applications must include transcripts of all previous undergraduate- and graduate-level work,letters of reference, a statement of purpose, and critical writing samples. Additional creative writing samples are optional. Please see specific admissions requirements posted at the Graduate Programs page.

Combined Baccalaureate-Master’s Degree Program

Qualified undergraduates may apply for admission to the combined English B.A./M.A. program and, if accepted, simultaneously work toward completion of the requirements for both undergraduate and graduate degrees. See Combined Baccalaureate-Master's Degree Programs page for details.

Please note: This program offers an internship, field experience, study abroad component, or clinical experience in the course listing as an option to fulfill course requirements. Students who have previously been convicted of a felony are advised that their prior criminal history may impede their ability to complete the requirements of certain academic programs and/or to meet licensure requirements for certain professions. If you have concerns about this matter please contact the Dean’s Office of your intended academic program.