Apply for federal financial aid

Demonstrating Financial Need 

Financial need can only be determined by filing the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please review our application instructions for admitted freshmenadmitted transfer studentscurrent undergraduate students and all graduate students for more information.

This page includes information on the following programs: 

Note: The Federal Aid Census Date for undergraduate students (the last day of late registration for the semester) is used by the Office of Financial Aid to confirm your enrollment status and subsequent federal financial aid eligibility. Full-time study (defined as being enrolled in 12 or more credits applicable toward your degree) is determined by your enrollment on the Census Date. Visit the Academic Calendar for registration dates.


Pell Grants 

Federal Pell Grants are awarded to undergraduate students who display exceptional financial need and have not earned a bachelor's, graduate or professional degree. 

Pell eligibility is determined by the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which is calculated using your FAFSA. Visit the Federal Student Aid website for maximum Pell Grant amounts

Note: If your parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of Sept. 11, 2001, or died in the line of duty as a public safety officer, you may be eligible for additional Federal Pell Grant funds

Students cannot receive Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time. 

What do I need to know about summer Pell?

The amount of your Pell Grant depends on your EFC, enrollment status and percentage of Lifetime Eligibility Used. Students are limited to 12 full-time semesters (600%) of Pell Grant eligibility during their lifetime — regardless of when or where they received their first Pell Grant.  

If you’re enrolled at least half-time (six credits for undergrads), you can receive up to 150% percent of your scheduled award for an award year — meaning you can use Pell Grant funds to finance summer study. The additional Pell Grant will count toward your Lifetime Eligibility Used. 

If you drop credits at any time during the summer, the Pell grant may be either reduced or cancelled. 

Federal Work-Study 

Federal Work-Study provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student’s course of study. 

If you don’t qualify for work-study, you can still work on campus by finding a job on the Office of Human Resources Management’s Student Employment Opportunities website

How do I secure a federal work-study?
  • Students must request work-study on the FAFSA to be considered. Funding is limited, so students who file the FAFSA by the priority filing date (December 1 for new students, January 1 for returning students) are given priority consideration. 

  • Current students must be registered as a full-time student for the fall semester by June 15. 

  • Returning work-study students must have earned at least $1,200 of their previous award to have the award renewed. (Students typically receive a $2,000 award for the academic year.) 

  • All students must accept their work-study awards on MyUAlbany before the beginning of the fall semester or the award will be canceled. If you decline a work-study award, it won’t be offered in the future. 

How does federal work-study work?

Work-study students are paid an hourly rate, receive a paycheck every two weeks for the hours they worked and cannot earn more than the amount of work-study they were awarded. 

Work-study is a job opportunity, not a guaranteed job. Once you accept your work-study award on MyUAlbany, you’ll use the work-study employment website to search and apply for jobs online. You'll receive information on how to complete that process in early August. 

You'll also need to complete the federal work-study I-9 form to verify your employment.

Federal Direct Loan Program 

UAlbany participates in the Federal Direct Loan Program, in which students and parents obtain federal educational loans directly from the U.S. Department of Education. Please visit these pages for more information: 



Additional Federal Financial Aid Programs 

These grants and scholarships are offered to students in special circumstances. Please see each section for eligibility and, if applicable, application instructions.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is a campus-based federal grant — meaning that the federal government determines the amount of money the Office of Financial Aid can award to students and, when the funds are exhausted, awarding of this aid program stops. 

Undergraduate students receiving FSEOG must have exceptional financial need, which can only be determined by filing the FAFSA.  

As the funds are limited, priority is given to our highest need students, who have a $0 expected family contribution (EFC) as determined by the FAFSA, and to students who meet the priority filing deadlines (December 1 for newly admitted students and January 1 for current students continuing their studies).

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

A student who is not eligible for a Pell Grant, but whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001 may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant.

Visit the Federal Student Aid website for information on how to apply.

For information on financial aid for veterans and military-connected students, including the GI Bill and Military Tuition Assistance, please visit the Office of Veteran and Military Student Services website