Advance Your Career in Computer Science
With its solid foundation in computer science theory and practice, the Master of Science in Computer Science program at the University at Albany is an excellent preparation for a career in computer systems design, software engineering, and applications of computers, or for pursuing a doctorate degree.
Through coursework and hands-on experience in areas such as intelligent systems, information security, software engineering, computer networks, and data mining, you will gain the necessary training to meet your professional goals in occupations that require advanced knowledge of computer theory and technology.
Program of Study
This degree requires a minimum of 31 credits, of which at least 25 must be taken from the Department of Computer Science. In a process that can take one full year, you must successfully complete:
- Core courses in the Department of Computer Science, as well as electives in computer science, or electives outside of computer science with department approval.
- A master's project, or thesis, including the design and implementation of a computer program of significant scope. The project may be in the form of a department approved internship involving employment in the private or public sector.
For full curriculum and program information, visit the Graduate Bulletin
FACULTY: Learn from renowned professors who provide a well-rounded and critical understanding of this dynamic discipline.
RESEARCH: Exciting opportunities to participate in a robust research agenda with our actively engaged faculty. Please visit our faculty websites to learn about ongoing research.
PREPARATION: A wide variety of courses and the ability to build your program of study to meet your career goals.
COST: Save on tuition compared to that at most private universities.
LOCATION: Live in proximity to New York’s Tech Valley and take advantage of numerous internship and job opportunities available within the public and private sectors of this innovative region. The campus is a short ride to Boston and New York City.
NETWORK: Gain access to an invaluable network of leading professionals in the field of computer science.
Computer Science graduates are sought after in a wide range of industries. Sample job titles include:
- Application Developer
- Data Analyst
- Multimedia Programmer
- IT Consultant
- Software Architect
The degree can also be used as a step toward earning a doctorate.
Learning objectives that UAlbany students are expected to attain through their course of study within their academic program.
Students will be able to understand and analyze algorithms & data structures.
Students will be able to implement algorithms in a manner consistent with software Engineering principles.
- Design and implement large scale software, and work in teams.
- Students will demonstrate Competence in Operating Systems, Databases, Computability, or Advanced programming concepts.
- Students will illustrate implementation success via demos of their projects.