Program of Study
The master’s in biology program at UAlbany has a Molecular, Cellular, Developmental and Neural Biology (MCDN) concentration.
The MCDN concentration focuses on concepts like neural development, molecular virology, mutation, and gene flow and cell biology.
Note: Admissions to the Ecology and Evolutionary Biology concentration for the MS Biology program have been suspended effective August 2020.
MCDN Core Biology Courses
- Cell Biology I and II
- Biochemistry and Biomolecular Structure
- Advanced Molecular Biology
- Responsible Conduct and Skills in Research
- Responsible Conduct and Skills in Scientific Communication
- At least 3 additional credits at the 500 level or above (not including Master’s Research)
Master’s Research Thesis
Supporting courses in anthropology, mathematics, chemistry, physics and psychology as advised
Satisfactory completion of core and final examinations in biology
Learning objectives that UAlbany students are expected to attain through their course of study within their academic program.
- Design experimental protocols in order to contribute to the solution of an important scientific problem.
- Obtain general knowledge of scientific fields such as physics, mathematics, chemistry, and biology with a detailed knowledge of one area of interest.
- Integrate factual knowledge and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrate oral, and visual communication skills.
- Demonstrate written communication skills.
- Read and understand the primary scientific literature, to keep abreast of major developments, and to synthesize and integrate the literature in their chosen area of expertise.
- Understand a scientific problem and conduct experiments that would make a substantial contribution to its solution.
- Understand scientific ethics as practiced in Western societies, including the topics of human subjects, animal use in research, and plagiarism.
Explore the molecular, neural and environmental factors that impact our world as you prepare for a career in fields like health care, conservation, law and research.
Whether you want to specialize in areas like neural development and molecular virology, or cellular mutation and gene flow, you will gain the knowledge and experience necessary to pursue your career with the Master of Science in Biology program at UAlbany.