Apply for Waiver
Information and Steps to Apply for Health Insurance Waiver
You Must Meet this Criteria Before Continuing:
- Once you have used UnitedHealthcare insurance the coverage cannot be terminated
- Your insurance provider must be based in the United States
- Your insurance must be an Affordable Care Act compliant plan. Any Medicaid plans based outside of NY and the NY state Essential Plan will not be accepted
- Your plan is not on the list of plans not accepted
If you believe you are eligible for a waiver, please complete the WAIVER APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND FORMS. Please read instructions thoroughly.
Waiver Application Deadline:
- Fall Semester is October 15.
- Spring Semester is February 15.
Waiver application applies to health insurance only. Students cannot waive out of the emergency assistance and evacuation insurance.
Please deliver completed forms to the International Insurance Coordinator or scan and email ONLY in PDF format to: [email protected]. Smartphone pictures cannot be accepted.
NOTE: GAs, TAs, Lecturers and Research Foundation Student employees who are covered under student-employment based insurance do NOT have to apply for the waiver. Your paid insurance fee will be refunded after the waiver is processed. If your Student Account bill is due before your enrollment in the other plan is complete and the waiver is not yet processed, you may be charged a late fee if you do not pay the outstanding balance on your bill. If you choose to pay the International Insurance fee by the billing due date to avoid the late fee charges and later your employment-based waiver is approved, the International Insurance fee payment will be refunded.