International Undergraduate Freshmen Orientation and Pre Arrival Checklist
ISSS is here to support you while you prepare to arrive to the University. This information is subject to change.
Please complete the below tasks before you arrive at UAlbany. "Freshmen" only refers to undergraduate students in their first year of study, not new graduate or undergraduate transfer students.
- After paying the deposit you will need to wait 1-2 business days before you can access your UAlbany online account (step 3).
- You will need to pay the DHS I-901 fee at least 3 business days prior to your visa appointment.
- You can complete the other steps on thispre-arrival checklist while waiting for your visa appointment.
- This step is required for students who were issued an I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1). Students in other visa categories should follow the requirements for their visa category.
4. Complete all University Health Documentation Requirements (COVID-19 and MMR)
Students must submit required health documentation to the University. These documents can be submitted directly in the Student Health Documentation Portal in MyUAlbany or by emailing the documents to [email protected] This includes:
- COVID Vaccine Mandate: All UAlbany students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- In addition to the University's COVID-19 vaccination requirement, the US CDC requires that most non-citizen, non-immigrant air passengers to the U.S. show proof of full vaccination for COVID-19, including F-1 and J-1 students. The CDC has released guidance on limited exemptions to the full vaccination requirement, which may include minors under the age of 18 or student travelers from certain countries with limited vaccine availability. For a list of which countries are considered eligible for an exemption please review Table 4 on the CDC's website. Students should consult their airline if they have any questions about providing acceptable vaccination documentation and/or whether or not they qualify for an exemption to the requirement.
- If you qualify to enter the U.S. prior to being fully vaccinated please contact [email protected] for additional assistance and information.
- MMR Immunity: New York State Public Health Law requires college students to submit proof of immunity to the diseases measles, mumps and rubella (MMR).
- Meningitis Requirement: New York State Public Health Law requires college students to receive and acknowledge receipt of information on Meningitis. Students must read the Meningitis Disease Fact Sheet from the New York State Department of Health then log in to MyUAlbany and select the Meningitis link under the Required Agreements section.
- Required Health Form: The Required Health form must be completed by the student and does not require a physician evaluation. The form is found at the Pending Forms link on the Student Health Portal. The student will be notified if other tests are necessary to satisfy the Tuberculosis requirement. See Tuberculosis screening for more information.
- Permission to Treat Under 18: This form should be submitted for students who are under 18 years of age.
Other pre-arrival health and safety requirements, such as COVID-19 testing, may be announced closer to the start of the semester.
5. Orientation Registration
- Register for Orientation, Click Here.
- You must use your applicant email (not UAlbany email) when logging in to register.
- All of Orientation is mandatory. Freshmen must attend both International Student Orientation and Freshmen Orientation during Welcome Week.
- Fall 2022 Orientation is scheduled for August 14, 2022-August 19, 2022. Click here for the schedule for Freshman International Orientation.
- ISSS will provide one-time, one-way complimentary transportation service reimbursement on August 13 and August 14 from Albany Airport, the Albany-Rensselaer Train Station, the Albany Bus Terminal, and select hotels only. Students must save the receipt from their taxi and/or rideshare (Uber/Lyft) in order to be reimbursed. Sign-up in advance to be eligible for this reimbursement.
- The Orientation Registration form will ask questions about your academic plans to begin course registration. Course registration will be finalized at Orientation with your academic advisor.
- If you encounter problems registering for Orientation please contact Orientation and Transition Programs at [email protected]. To sign in for Orientation you will use the email and password you created when you applied to the university.
- There is a New Student Fee that will be charged to your account.
6. Apply for Campus Housing and Review Quarantining & COVID Documentation Requirements
- All freshmen are required to live on-campus for their first two years. Review information on housing sign-up.
- Housing sign-up is done through the Office of Residential Life.
- Housing assignments will be sent to your Albany.edu email address.
- New international students may move-in between 12pm and 4pm on Sunday, August 14, 2022, no appointment is needed. If you arrive before then please arrange for a hotel.
- Please follow all move-in instructions that you receive from the Office of Residential Life, including arranging a move-in appointment as needed. Students who will live on-campus must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to moving in on-campus.
- Upload your photo at least two weeks before you arrive so that your ID card is ready for you. You can keep a virtual ID card on your phone using the Mobile ID App.
- Your ID Card gives students access to the bus, on-campus housing, dining plans, and other campus resources.
- Pre-Arrival Orientation on Blackboard will open in May 2022.
- Please successfully complete the Pre-Arrival Orientation quiz before arrival.
Please review these Frequently Asked Questions. Click the link(s) to find more information.