Dr. Jonathan Muckell is a Professor of Practice in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University at Albany, State University of New York. He is also the IEEE Student Branch Counselor at UAlbany and has served as the faculty mentor for the World of Engineering and Applied Sciences Living Learning Community since the 2018-19 school year. In 2019, Dr. Muckell was recognized with the University at Albany's Outstanding Achievement in Experiential Education Award for his exemplary commitment to guiding his students in community engaged and real-world engineering learning experiences. In 2013, he was the recipient of a University at Albany Distinguished Dissertation Award.
Geospatial compression algorithms, performance benchmarks, supply chain tracking, assistive living devices
1. Jonathan Muckell, Qing Cao, Patricia Mackenzie, Daniel Messier and Joseph Salvo. System and Method for Detecting Backhaul Opportunities. General Electric Global Research.
2. Patricia Mackenzie, Qing Cao, Joseph Salvo, Joseph Jesson and Jonathan Muckell. Systems and Method for Emissions Reduction. General Electric Global Research.
1. Abebe Rorissa, Diane Rasmussen Neal, Jonathan Muckell and Alex Chaucer. An Exploration of Tags Assigned to Geotagged Still and Moving Images on Flickr. Indexing and Retrieval of Non-Text Information. De Gruyter, 2012. (pages 185 - 211).
Refereed Journal Publications
1. Jonathan Muckell, Paul Olsen, Jeong-Hyon Hwang, Catherine Lawson, S.S. Ravi. A Comprehensive Evaluation of Algorithms for Compressing GPS Trajectory Data. GeoInformatica. July 2013.
2. Jonathan Muckell, Qing Cao, Patricia Mackenzie, Daniel Messier and Joe Salvo. Towards an Intelligent Brokerage Platform - Mining Backhaul Opportunities in Telematics Data. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. 2009.
Refereed Conference Articles
1. Kyuseo Park, Jeremy Birnbaum, Paul Olsen, Yuchao Ma, Jayadevan Vijayan, S.S. Ravi, Jeong-Hyon Hwang, Jonathan Muckell, Catherine T. Lawson. TrajMetrix: A Trajectory Compression Benchmarking Framework. Demonstration Paper. 21st ACM International Symposium on Advances in Geographic Information Systems. (ACM GIS 2013). Orlando, FL. Nov 5-8 2013
2. Jonathan Muckell, Paul Oslen, Jeong-Hyon Hwang, Catherine Lawson and S.S. Ravi. A Benchmarking Framework for Efficient and Convenient Evaluation of Trajectory Compression Algorithms (Com.Geo 2013). San Jose, CA. July 22-24 2013.
3. Jonathan Muckell, Vikram Patil, Fan Ping, Jeong-Hyon Hwang, Catherine Lawson and S.S. Ravi. SQUISH: An Online Approach for GPS Trajectory Compression. 2nd International Conference on Computing for Geospatial Research and Application (Com.Geo 2011). Washington, DC. May 23-24 2011.
4. Jonathan Muckell, Jeong-Hyon Hwang, Catherine Lawson and S.S. Ravi. Algorithms for Compressing GPS Trajectory Data: An Empirical Evaluation. 18th ACM International Symposium on Advances in Geographic Information Systems. (ACM GIS 2010). San Jose, CA. Nov 2010.
5. Christopher Stuetzle, Marcus Andrade, W. Randolph Franklin, Jonathan Muckell and Barbara Cutler. Evaluating Hydrology Preservation of Simplified Terrain Representations. International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems. Irving, CA. November 5-7 2008.
6. Zhongyi Xie, Marcus A. Andrade, W Randolph Franklin, Barbara Cutler, Metin Inanc, Jonathan Muckell and Daniel M. Tracy. Progressive Transmission of Lossily Compressed Terrain. Conferencia Latinoamericana de Informática (CLEI 2008), Santa Fe, Argentina. 8 -12 Sep 2008
7. W. Randolph Franklin, Daniel M. Tracy, Marcus Andrade, Jonathan Muckell, Metin Inanc, Zhongyi Xie and Barbara Cutler. Slope Accuracy and Path Planning on Compressed Terrain. 13th International Symposium on Spatial Data Handling, Montepelier, France. 23-25th June 2008.
Refereed Extended Abstracts
1. Jonathan Muckell, Marcus Andrade, W. Randolph Franklin, Barbara Cutler, Metin Inanc, Zhongyi Xie and Daniel M. Tracy. Drainage Network and Watershed Reconstruction on Simplified Terrain. 17th Fall Workshop on Computational Geometry. IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, Hawthorne, New York. 9-10 Nov 2007.
2. Zhongyi Xie. Marcus A. Andrade, W. Randolph Franklin, Barbara Cutler, Metin Inanc, Daniel M. Tracy, and Jonathan Muckell. Approximating Terrain with Over-determined Laplacian PDEs. 17th Fall Workshop on Computational Geometry, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, Hawthorne, New York. 9-10 Nov 2007