Become a Leader in Computer Science Innovation
The PhD in Computer Science program at the University at Albany prepares you for a productive career in universities, research institutes, industries, and government agencies.
This program develops your ability to recognize and formulate significant research problems, express those problems using appropriate abstract models, apply theoretical and/or experimental techniques for your solutions, and share the results with the scientific community. It also provides training for a broad understanding of computer science and the versatility to enter emerging fields. As a doctoral student, you will work closely with our research faculty members, who are engaged in cutting-edge research in areas of such as intelligent systems, cybersecurity, computer networks, software engineering, data science, and computing theory.
The PhD program generally requires four to five academic years of full-time study and research. Specifically, you must complete:
- An oral doctoral qualifying examination in the field of the student's research interest. This examination should be completed before the student begins work on the dissertation.
- An acceptable dissertation that represents a significant and original research contribution to computer science.
- A minimum of 60 credits of graduate courses.
For more information, contact the Computer Science Department at email@example.com or 518-437-4950.
FACULTY: Learn from renowned professors who provide a well-rounded and critical understanding of this dynamic discipline.
RESEARCH: Exciting opportunities to participate in a robust research agenda with our actively engaged faculty. Please visit our faculty websites to learn about ongoing research.
PREPARATION: A wide variety of courses and the ability to build your program of study to meet your career goals.
LOCATION: Live in proximity to New York’s Tech Valley and take advantage of numerous internship and job opportunities available within the public and private sectors of this innovative region. The campus is a short ride to Boston and New York City.
NETWORK: Gain access to an invaluable network of leading professionals in the field of computer science.
CAREER OUTLOOK: Recent graduates have gone on to rewarding and challenging positions in leading corporations, universities, research facilities, and government agencies.
Learning objectives that UAlbany students are expected to attain through their course of study within their academic program.
- Students will attain expert competence in at least three of the following areas:
- Analysis of algorithms, including complexity, tractability, and computability.
- Propositional logic, and the predicate calculus.
- Artificial intelligence.
- Principles of programming languages, and their design.
- Operating systems and computer communication networks.
- Scientific and high performance computing.
- Principles of information retrieval, databases, and their theory.
- Complexity and computability theory.
- Students will publish papers/articles in peer-reviewed conferences and journals