Vincent A. Dutkiewicz
BS, Physics (1971) SUNY at Stony Brook
MS, Physics (1975) University at Albany
PhD, Physics (1977) University at Albany (Advisor: Professor Nelson Cue)
Post Doc, (Oct. 1977-Apr. 78): NYS Dept. of Health, Wadsworth Center (Dr L. Husain)
I have been involved in field studies relating to atmospheric air quality since 1977.
Major programs/interests included:
• Using cosmogenic radionuclides to study ground level subsidence of stratospheric ozone
• Gamma ray spectroscopy and Neutron Activation Analysis
• Instrumentation design
• Evaluating the source-receptor impact of emissions from fossil fuel burning
• Atmospheric chemistry of sulfur dioxide in the clear air and clouds,
• Speciation of PM2.5, (e.g. sulfate, trace elements, elemental/black carbon)
• Evaluating historical black carbon concentrations to detail sources and better understand its impact on global climate
1. Forty-seven years of weekly atmospheric black carbon measurements in the Finnish Arctic: Decrease in black carbon with declining emissions, Dutkiewicz, V. A., A. M. DeJulio, T. Ahmed, J. Laing, P. K. Hopke, R. B. Skeie, Y. Viisanen, J. Paatero, and L. Husain, 2014. J. Geophys. Res. Atmos., 119, doi:10.1002/ 2014JD021790.
2. Black carbon transport to a remote mountaintop in the northeastern US and relationship with other pollutants, Dutkiewicz, V.A., Husain, L., Roychowdhury, Demerjian, K.E., 2011a. Atmospheric Environment, 45, 2110- 2119, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2011.01.049.
3. Impact of Canadian wildfire smoke on air quality at two rural sites in NY State Dutkiewicz, V.A., Husain, L., Roychowdhury, Demerjian, K.E., 2011b. Atmospheric Environment 45, 2028-2033, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2011.01.
4. Measurement of black carbon (BC) by an optical method and a thermal-optical method: Intercomparison for four sites, Ahmed, T., V.A. Dutkiewicz, A. Shareef, G. Tuncel, S. Tuncel, L. Husain, Atmospheric Environment, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2009.09.031, 2009.
5. A multi-element tracer technique for determination of in situ oxidation of SO2 in cloud droplets, E. G. Burkhard, V. A. Dutkiewicz, B. M. Ghauri, and L. Husain, Journal of Geophysical Research, 100, 26051-26059, 1995.
6. Stratospheric and Tropospheric Components of 7Be in Surface Air, V. A. Dutkiewicz, and L. Husain, Journal of Geophysical Research, 90, 5783-5788, 1985.