Kenneth L. Demerjian
PhD, Ohio State University 1973 - Physical Chemistry
MS, Ohio State University 1970 - Physical Chemistry
BA, Northeastern University 1968 - Chemistry
Experimental and theoretical studies of atmospheric photolytic rate constants, chemical kinetics of elementary atmospheric reactions and mechanistic pathways of polluted and clean atmospheres.
Instrument development, evaluation and measurement of atmospheric trace gases and particulate matter.
Development and evaluation of air quality forecast models and diagnostic analysis of atmospheric processes within air quality modeling systems.
Sources and evaluation of uncertainty in theoretical models of atmospheric processes, air quality, and pollutant exposures.
The articulation and effective use of scientific uncertainty in the decision making process.
Advanced air quality modeling techniques for improved exposure estimates for health outcome assessments.
1. Yun, J., P. Doraiswamy, C. Hogrefe, E. Zalewsky, W. Hao, J.-Y. Ku, M. Beauharnois, and K. L. Demerjian (2013). Developing Real-Time Emissions Estimates for Enhanced Air Quality Forecasting, Environmental Management, November, pp.22-27.
2. Sun, Y. L., Q. Zhang, J.J. Schwab, T. Yang, N.L. Ng, and K.L. Demerjian (2012). Factor analysis of combined organic and inorganic aerosol mass spectra from high resolution aerosol mass spectrometer measurements, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 12, 8537-8551, doi:10.5194/acp-12-8537-2012.
3. Massoli, P., E. C. Fortner, M. R. Canagaratna, L. R. Williams, Q. Zhang, Y. Sun, J. J. Schwab, A. Trimborn, T. B. Onasch, K. L. Demerjian, C. E. Kolb, D. R. Worsnop and J. T. Jayne (2012). Pollution Gradients and Chemical Characterization of Particulate Matter from Vehicular Traffic near Major Roadways: Results from the 2009 Queens College Air Quality Study in NYC, Aerosol Science and Technology, 46:11, 1201-1218
4. Lin, Y. C., J. J. Schwab, K. L. Demerjian, M.-S. Bae, W.-N. Chen, Y. Sun, Q. Zhang, H.-M. Hung, and J. Perry (2012), Summertime formaldehyde observations in New York City: Ambient levels, sources and its contribution to HOx radicals, J. Geophys. Res., 117, D08305, doi:10.1029/2011JD016504.
5. Sun, Y.L., Q. Zhang, J. J. Schwab, W.-N. Chen, M.-S. Bae, H.-M. Hung, Y.-C. Lin, N. L. Ng, J. Jayne, P. Massoli, L. R. Williams, and K. L. Demerjian, (2012). Characterization of near-highway submicron aerosols in New York City with a high-resolution time-of-flight aerosol mass spectrometer, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 12, 2215 -2227.
6. Demerjian, K.L., (2011). Atmospheric Science of Air Pollution Phenomena --Current Directions toward Exposure Characterization, Chapter 6 in NARSTO Technical Challenges of Multipollutant Air Quality Management, Springer, Secaucus, NJ, 2011.
7. Dutkiewicz, V.A., L. Husain, U.K. Roychowdhury, K.L. Demerjian, (2011). Black carbon transport to a remote mountaintop in the northeastern US and relationship with other pollutants, Atmospheric Environment, 45, 2110-2119 doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2011.01.049.
8. Sun, Y.-L., Q. Zhang, J.J. Schwab, K.L. Demerjian, W.-N. Chen, M.-S. Bae, H.-M. Hung, O. Hogrefe, B. Frank, O.V. Rattigan, Y.-C. Lin, (2011). Characterization of the sources and processes of organic and inorganic aerosols in New York City with a high-resolution time-of-flight mass spectrometer, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 11, 1581-1602, www.atmos-chem-phys.net/11/1581/2011/.
9. Rattigan, O.V., H.D. Felton, M.-S. Bae, J.J. Schwab, K.L. Demerjian, (2011). Comparison of long-term PM2.5 carbon measurements at an urban and rural location in New York, Atmospheric Environment, 45, 3228-3236, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2011.03.048.
10. Bae, M.-S., J.J. Schwab, W.-N. Chen, C.-Y. Lin, O.V. Rattigan, K.L. Demerjian, (2011). Identifying pollutant source directions using multiple analysis methods at a rural location in New York, Atmospheric Environment, 45, 2531-2540, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2011.02.020.
11. Bae, M.-S., J. J. Schwab, O. Hogrefe, B. P. Frank, G. G. Lala, and K. L. Demerjian, (2010). Characteristics of size distributions at urban and rural locations in New York, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 10, 4521 -4535.
12. Rattigan, O.V., H.D. Felton, M.S. Bae, J.J. Schwab, K.L. Demerjian, (2010). Multi-year hourly PM2.5 carbon measurements in New York: Diurnal, day of week and seasonal patterns, Atmospheric Environment, 44, 2043-2053, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2010.01.019.