Applying for Benefits

Steps all students must take to use their GI Bill®  / Veteran Benefits

Veterans, Military Reserve and Dependents using transferred benefits to include:

  1. Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill
  2. Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill
  3. Chapter 31 – Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E)
  4. Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill – Select Reserve
  5. Chapter 1607 - Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
  6. Chapter 35 – Survivor’s and Dependents Educational Assistance Program

There are two steps for applying

  1. Apply with the Veteran's Affairs Administration (VA)
    • Step 1 below is only needed when:
      • Establishing eligibility and use for the first time or;
      • Students that have already established benefits and changed their school, major or academic level (e.g., Undergraduate, Graduate)
  2. Complete the Certification Request Form EACH TERM AFTER REGISTRATION IS COMPLETE

1. Apply with the Veterans Administration

First term using benefits here? 
To begin, start by visiting the U.S. Veterans Administration Applying for Benefits webpage.

  • Transfer Students
    If you are transferring to UAlbany and previously used your benefits at another school or program, please ensure you visit the VA Site and Change your GI Bill School.
  • All New Students
    Please provide the Office of Veteran & Military Student Services a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) once received.  

2. Complete the UAlbany GI Bill®  Request Form EACH SEMESTER

Submit the web form listed below - this is required every term to request benefits after finalizing registration for the applicable term (complete separate forms if requesting multiple terms) 

Re-apply here with the Certification Request Form

GI Bill®  Benefits Q & A

Q: When will my benefits be certified?

A: We will certify benefits at the earliest possible date; typically within 2-3 business days from receipt.

However, please note we will not begin certification processing until charges are made available on the student’s account (i.e. MyUAlbany and E-Pay). This typically occurs on later than the first week of the term billing begins for each term (e.g., July for Fall, December for Spring and May for Summer).

Q: Will I be responsible for the balance while I am waiting for my benefits?

A: It depends.

For those that receive certain benefits that are applied directly to the account (e.g., Chapter 33 and Chapter 31) there will be a “deferral” added (pending financial aid) reducing the balance by the amount of the benefit.

All students using GI Bill®  benefits with a remaining balance will be automatically entered in the UAlbany Veteran Payment Plan (free) delaying any payments needed until later in the term. Details can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page.

Q: What if I have financial aid and billing questions?

A: Contact the Office of Veteran & Military Student Service (VMSS) at veterans@albany.eduor 518-442-8387

The majority of your financial aid and billing questions can be addressed by VMSS. We will also coordinate with the Financial Aid and Billing unit on your behalf to save you time and improve efficiency of service.

Q: What should I do after submitting my GI Bill® ​​​​​​​Request?

A: Stay involved and keep us informed.

Notify the Office of Veteran & Military Student Services (VMSS) if you plan to make any changes to registration

Regularly monitor your MyUAlbany, EPAY, and UAlbany email account. Review this VMSS website for important information. Email [email protected] if you have any questions or need assistance.

Q: Is The University at Albany in compliance with Title 38 US Code 3679 (e) 

A: Yes. Please see the following for more details.  

Pending Veterans Affairs (VA) Payment Policy

Effective August 1, 2019

Background: Section 103 of PL 115-407, ‘Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018’, amends Title 38 US Code 3679 by adding a new subsection (e) that requires disapproval of courses of education, beginning August 1, 2019, at any educational institution that does not have a policy in place that will allow an individual to attend or participate in a course of education, pending VA payment, providing the individual submits a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under Chapter 31 or 33.

University at Albany Policy

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e) of the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, The University at Albany (UAlbany) will not impose a penalty on any student using veterans education benefits under Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment) or Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®) because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement of funding from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

UAlbany will not

Prevent the student from attending or participating in the course of education during periods in which there is a delayed disbursement;

Assess late payment fees if the financial obligation is fully funded by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA);

Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding for delayed disbursements;

Deny the student access to institutional facilities and services (e.g. access to the University Center, grades, transcripts, and registration) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills.


Deferrals (Pending Aid) will be applied to the student’s account for any requested and authorized benefits that are directed to Tuition and Fees (e.g., Chapter 31 and Chapter 33).

Students will be responsible for any balances in access of the amount of expected benefit based on prescribed billing notices and or enrolled payment plans.