Financial Aid

The Office of Financial Aid is committed to assisting students and their families meet the cost of attending the University. Financial Aid administers federal, state, and institutional financial assistance programs for undergraduate and graduate students. These programs include: Federal Direct Loans, Federal Direct PLUS Loans, Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Federal Work-Study, the New York State Grants and Scholarships, the Educational Opportunity Program, and University at Albany Foundation and Benevolent Association Scholarships. Financial Aid is located in the Campus Center, Room G26, (518) 442-3202. The financial aid information below is accurate at the time of publication, but may be subject to change.

Cost of Attendance

Financial assistance may be awarded on the basis of financial need. The cost of attendance is the sum of the student’s direct and indirect educational expenses for an academic year. Direct expenses include tuition, fees, housing, and meals for students who live on campus and only tuition and fees for students living off campus. The cost of attendance also includes allowances for estimated expenses for books and supplies, personal items, transportation, and living expenses for off-campus students. Visit our Financial Aid & Student Accounts homepage for the most current information on tuition and costs.

Application Procedure and Deadlines

New Students

New students must be accepted for admission to the University prior to being considered for financial aid. In order to receive priority consideration for financial aid, students entering for the 2023-2024 academic year should follow the steps below and complete the financial aid process no later than December 1st, 2022.

1. File the 2023-2024 FAFSA (available October 1, 2022). The FAFSA must be submitted to be considered for financial assistance at the University. New York State residents will be able to apply for New York State Grants and Scholarships, upon conclusion of completing the FAFSA. The FAFSA should be completed as soon as possible after October 1st.

2. New York State residents attending NYS schools will have the option to link directly to the TAP application from the FAFSA submission confirmation page. If you exited the FAFSA before selecting this option, you can complete the application after HESC receives your processed FAFSA data (approximately three days). HESC will send you an email or postcard notifying you to complete the TAP application online if you did not select the FAFSA link to TAP on the Web. Visit the Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) webpage for more information on the TAP application process.

Returning Students

The FAFSA must be filed annually. The deadline for submitting the form in order to receive priority consideration for financial aid is January 1, 2023.

Summer Study

Students who plan to attend any sessions during summer 2023, at the University at Albany, may be eligible to receive financial aid. In order to be considered for summer financial aid students must file the 2023-2024 FAFSA and complete The UAlbany Summer Aid Application, accessed online through the Finances tab of the MyUAlbany portal.

Study Abroad

UAlbany students who plan to participate in a SUNY Study Abroad program may be eligible to receive financial aid. Students interested in attending a program offered by UAlbany should visit our Study Abroad homepage. Students who go through other SUNYs may be required to submit a cost sheet and acceptance letter to the Office of Financial Aid as well as complete the cross-registration form through the Registrar’s office. Students who plan to participate in a program at an institution outside the SUNY system will be required to get permission for a leave of absence (Fall & Spring only) and submit a cost sheet, acceptance letter, and transfer credit form (available from academic advisors) to the Office of Financial Aid. Please, contact the Office of Financial aid to discuss your funding options.

Visiting Students

Visiting students, not matriculated at the University, are ineligible for financial aid through UAlbany. The student must go through their home school to request funding.

Financial Aid Awards

1. If students have been awarded Federal Work-Study, an Athletic Scholarship, and/or a Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan for the 2023-2024 aid year, they must log onto MyUAlbany to accept, decline, or reduce the amounts of the awards. Refer to the Accepting Awards section of the financial aid website for additional instructions.

2. Financial aid is awarded on an annual basis. Students must reapply each year by submitting the FAFSA. Financial aid awards may vary each year based on the student's financial need and available funds.

3. Students and, if dependent, their families, should always update their FAFSA data using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (if applicable) and/or submit income and other documentation as requested by the Office of Financial Aid. Federal financial aid will not be credited to accounts, or may be cancelled, if we do not receive the requested information. Please do not send any documentation unless it has been requested by the office.

4. Students must make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) towards their degrees in order to continue receiving financial aid. Under certain circumstances, students may appeal the loss of their financial aid. Additional SAP information can be found in both the State and Federal Financial Aid sections of this bulletin. Students can also visit the financial aid website for SAP information.

5. Students should inform the Financial Aid Office of aid and/or scholarships from any source outside the University. Amounts of aid from sources outside the University are estimates. They do not guarantee funds to the University. Please send a copy of the official notification letter of intent to the office. Be sure to provide a name and Albany ID on the notification. In some cases when outside sources of aid are received, Federal and/or State regulations require Financial Aid to make an adjustment to the financial aid award. If an adjustment is required, it is the Financial Aid Office's policy whenever possible to first reduce self-help aid, e.g., loan and/or work study.

6. First time borrowers awarded Federal Direct Loans must complete loan entrance counseling and their Master Promissory Note (MPN) prior to the first disbursement of loan proceeds. Complete Direct Loan entrance counseling and MPN.

7. Students whose family financial circumstances are adversely affected after being awarded financial aid should contact the Financial Aid Office to determine if the circumstances warrant a re-evaluation of financial aid eligibility.

Institutional Aid

The University offers a number of merit scholarships to undergraduate students. All merit scholarships are awarded to new students by the Undergraduate Admissions Office and renewed by Financial Aid. Eligibility requirements and award amounts vary. Undergraduate students who have been awarded merit scholarships receive information about the awards from the Office of Admissions. Visit our scholarships page for information on merit scholarships. The University also offers foundation scholarships made possible by the generosity of Alumni and donors. Click for more information on foundation scholarships.

Athletic Scholarships are awarded by the Department of Athletics.

SUNY Tuition Credit

New York State students who have applied and are eligible for a full-time TAP award, may be eligible for the SUNY Tuition Credit. The amount of the applicable tuition credit is based on the level of a student’s TAP award and will be calculated pursuant to a statutory formula. If eligible, this credit will appear on your bill as anticipated aid. The combination of TAP, SUNY Tuition Credit, and any other tuition-specific award cannot exceed the tuition and university fee charges.

Excelsior Tuition Credit

New York State students who have applied and are eligible for the Excelsior Scholarship may be eligible for the Excelsior Tuition Credit. The combination of the Excelsior Scholarship and any other tuition-specific awards cannot exceed the tuition charged. Awards must clearly state that they aren’t intended for tuition-based expenses to avoid affecting the Excelsior award.

State Financial Aid

Academic Criteria for State Awards

1. Students must be matriculated in an eligible degree program at UAlbany.

2. To be considered matriculated for State financial aid purposes, the New York State Education Department requires that students declare a major no later than the beginning of the junior year. Beginning of the junior year is interpreted to be within 30 days of the end of the drop/add period. Students who later change their majors are still considered matriculated. Note: an intended major does not satisfy this requirement. At UAlbany, a student with 56 – 87 graduation credits is classified as a junior. Effective May 27, 2021, and applied retroactively to the 2019-2020 academic year and thereafter, students who reach their junior year status early because of credits earned prior to matriculation may declare a major prior to their 4th term. However, such students must declare a major upon reaching their junior year status at the end of their 4th term as noted above. Juniors and seniors who have not declared a major, or who have an intended major, are not eligible to receive NYS awards.

3. Full-time status is defined as enrollment for at least 12 credits in courses applicable to the student's program of study for a term of at least 15 weeks. To count in the determination of the student minimum full-time course load, a course must apply to the student’s program as a general education requirement, a primary (first) major requirement, or elective (whether restricted or free elective). Coursework satisfying requirements for minors and additional majors is elective credit. The number of available applicable elective credits will vary depending on the primary major. Students must be enrolled full-time before the TAP certification status date, which is the date when a student would have incurred full tuition liability for the term. Courses added after the certification status date do not count toward full-time status. The requirement for a recipient to be enrolled in 12 credits applicable to his or her program(s) of study per semester is waived during the final year of study, as defined in the Commissioner's regulation. A recipient is deemed to meet the full-time study requirement in his/her last semester if he/she takes at least one course needed to meet his/her graduation requirements and enrolls in at least 12 credits. Additionally, effective December 27, 2017, a recipient is deemed to meet the full-time study requirement in the semester prior to his/her last semester if he/she takes at least six credits needed to meet their graduation requirements and enrolls in at least 12 credits.

4. Students who are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and are attending part-time (at least three credits per semester) can be certified for a partial TAP award for any approved term. HESC will calculate TAP awards as a percentage of the award the ADA student would be eligible to receive if the student were enrolled full-time. Students with disabilities must still meet all other TAP eligibility requirements. In addition, students must be able to document that they are disabled, as defined by the ADA, by registering with Disability Access & Inclusion Student Services (DAISS). Click to make an appointment or register with DAISS.

5. Courses in which the student has already received a passing grade cannot be included in meeting full-time study requirements for state-sponsored financial aid. Repeated courses may be counted toward full-time study requirements if a student repeats a failed course, if a student repeats the course for additional credit, or when a student has received a grade that is passing at the institution but is unacceptable in a particular curriculum.

6. To be eligible for State student financial assistance, Education Law section 661(4) states that a student first receiving aid in academic year 1996-1997 to 2006-2007 must have a certificate of graduation from a school providing secondary education, or the recognized equivalent of such certificate, or receive a passing score in an approved ability-to-benefit test. For students first receiving aid in academic year 2006-2007 and thereafter, the certificate of graduation must be from a recognized school providing secondary education within the United States, or the recognized equivalent of such certificate, or received a passing score on a federally approved ability-to-benefit test that has been identified by the Board of Regents, and has been independently administered and evaluated as defined by the commissioner. Therefore, a student without a valid high school diploma must hold a high school equivalency diploma. A student can earn a high school equivalency diploma in New York State in one of three ways: (1) by taking and earning passing scores on a TASC test, (2) by completing 24 semester credit hours in specified subjects as a recognized candidate for a degree in an approved (accredited) institution, or (3) through the National External Diploma Program. Visit the NYS Education Department website for more information on the High School Equivalence Diploma.

7. Students must meet citizenship, residency, high school graduation and good academic standing requirements as of the first day of classes for a particular term to be certified as eligible for an award for that term. Students who do not meet citizenship or residency requirements may be eligible under the Senator Jose Peralta New York State DREAM Act.

Students must meet matriculation requirements, approved program requirements, full-time study requirements and tuition liability requirements sometime between the first day of classes and the certification status date for a particular term to be certified for an award for that term.

Satisfactory Academic Progress and Pursuit of Program

In order to retain eligibility for New York State scholarship and grant awards, students must be in "good academic standing," which is comprised of two components: Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and Pursuit of Program (POP).

In order to make satisfactory progress towards a degree, students must accrue graduation credits each semester and have the cumulative grade point average as indicated on the academic progress charts. View academic progress charts for federal and state financial aid. Undergraduate students enrolled in four-year programs may receive up to four years of assistance for full-time study, and up to five years of assistance if enrolled in the Educational Opportunity Program or an approved five-year degree program.

Important Definitions

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP): a requirement that a student accumulates a specified number of credits and achieves a specified cumulative grade point average each term, depending on the number of state award payments the student has received.

Pursuit of Program (POP): a requirement that a student receive a passing or failing grade (A-E or S/U letter grade) in a certain percentage of applicable courses each term, depending on the number of state awards the student has received. The percentage is determined by the following schedule:

Review information on summer payments.

The pursuit of program requirement is continuous as a student passes from undergraduate to graduate study; payments a student received as an undergraduate are added to graduate payments to determine the number of payments. A student who does not complete the minimum number of credits in a given semester is ineligible for New York State financial aid for the following term, or until additional credits are completed to reach the minimum level.

Incomplete (I) grades must be completed and changed to a standard passing or failing grade by the end of the subsequent term to have the credits counted toward pursuit of program.

Remedial Student: (a) a student whose scores on a recognized college placement exam or nationally recognized standardized exam indicated the need for remediation for at least two semesters, as certified by the college and approved by the New York State Education Department (SED); (b) a student who was enrolled in at least six semester hours of non-credit remedial courses, as approved by SED, in the first term they received a TAP award; or (c) a student who is or was enrolled in an opportunity program.

Remedial Course: a non-credit course designed to remedy academic deficiencies so a student can be successful in a college-level study, and approved by SED. The amount of time for the course must be equivalent to the time for similar credit-bearing courses.

Non-remedial Students: any student who does not meet one of the definitions of a remedial student is considered "non-remedial."

Loss of Good Academic Standing: students who lose good academic standing in a term when they received a state grant or scholarship are not eligible for an award for the next term.

Reinstatement of Good Academic Standing: students who have lost good academic standing may restore this standing in one of the following ways: make up past academic deficiencies by completing one or more terms of study without receiving any state grants or scholarships; be readmitted to school after an absence of at least one year; transfer to another school, or be granted a waiver.

One-Time Waiver: New York State Commissioner of Education regulations include a provision allowing a one-time waiver of the good academic standing requirement for students who are otherwise successful and experience one "bad" semester due to circumstances beyond their control. The waiver is not automatic. The waiver may not be granted for chronic circumstances that cannot be remedied. There must be a reasonable expectation that the student will meet future requirements. To request a one-time waiver, students must submit a completed one-time waiver application along with appropriate supporting documentation. One-time waiver applications are available in the Student Financial Center, CC G-26.

C Average Requirement: students who have received the equivalent of two or more full years of state-funded student financial aid must have and maintain a cumulative C average (GPA of 2.00 on a 4.00 grading scale) or better to be eligible for continued state-funded assistance. Cumulative GPA for readmitted students who have previously attended UAlbany (including University in High School) is based on prior grades at UAlbany. Students who are denied an award for failing to achieve a cumulative C average can regain award eligibility by completing appropriate coursework, without state support, to achieve a cumulative GPA of 2.0, or be granted a waiver. Students cannot regain eligibility by remaining out of school for a period of time.

Waiver of the C Average Requirement: the C Average requirement may be waived for students who are otherwise successful and experience one "bad" semester caused by undue hardship based on the death of a student’s immediate family member, the student’s personal illness or injury, or other extenuating circumstances. To request a C Average waiver, students must submit a completed one-time waiver application and any supporting statements or documentation. Please contact Student Financial Services at SF[email protected] or 518-442-3202 for a copy of the application.

If the waiver is granted, it becomes part of the student’s financial aid record, and the student is expected to meet good academic standing requirements moving forward.

New York State Grant and Scholarship Programs

1. Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
This grant program for New York State residents who are full-time undergraduate students currently provides for annual awards ranging from $500 to $5,665. Awards are based on the family's New York State net taxable income, Federal, State, or local pension income, and income from annuities which were excluded on the NYS tax form if applicable. Undergraduate students may receive TAP for four years of full-time study. Students enrolled in approved five-year programs or in State sponsored opportunity programs may receive undergraduate aid for five years. First-time freshmen in academic year 2006-2007 and thereafter may be eligible to receive a part-time TAP award for 6-11 credits. Click for more information on TAP and application instructions. Students that are not U.S. citizens but have been NY residents for 12 months may be eligible for TAP through the “Dream Act.” 

2. Excelsior Scholarship
The Excelsior Scholarship, in combination with other student financial aid programs, allows students to attend a SUNY or CUNY college tuition-free. View program requirements and application instructions.

3. NYS Child Welfare Worker Incentive Scholarship Program
Grants awards for child welfare workers employed at voluntary not-for-profit child welfare agencies licensed by the NYS Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS). Recipients must agree to live in NYS and work at a voluntary not-for-profit child welfare agency licensed by OCFS for 5 years after graduation, and can use the award to get an associate’s, bachelor’s or graduate degree. Click for more information about child welfare scholarships.

4. Veterans Tuition Awards
Vietnam, Persian Gulf, Afghanistan, or other eligible combat veterans matriculated at an undergraduate or graduate degree-granting institution or in an approved vocational training program in New York State are eligible for awards for full or part-time study. View information and application instructions on veterans tuition awards.

5. NYS Regents Awards for Children of Deceased and Disabled Veterans
Provided to students whose parent(s) have served in the U.S. Armed Forces during specified periods of war or national emergency. Click for more information on awards for children of deceased and disabled veterans.

6. NYS Memorial Scholarships for Children and Spouses of Deceased Firefighters, Volunteer Firefighters, Police Officers, Peace Officers and Emergency Medical Service Workers
Provides financial aid to children, spouses and financial dependents of deceased firefighters, volunteer firefighters, police officers, peace officers, and emergency medical service workers who have died as the result of injuries sustained in the line of duty in service to the State of New York. For study in New York State. Visit the HESC homepage for information and application instructions.

7. NYS Aid to Native Americans
Provides aid to enrolled members of tribes listed on the official roll of New York State tribes or to the child of an enrolled member of a New York State tribe. For study in New York State. Specific eligibility criteria, information and applications can be found at the New York State Education Department, Native American Education Unit.

8. Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Grant
Financial assistance provided to NYS residents admitted to the University’s Educational Opportunity Program. Admitted students must meet academic and financial criteria established by state guidelines. See our EOP Admissions homepage for additional information.

9. NYS Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)
The NYS Aid for Part-time Study (APTS) program provides grant assistance for eligible part-time students enrolled in approved undergraduate studies. Applications and additional information are available on our Cost & Aid homepage and in the Student Financial Center, CC G-26.       

10. New York National Guard Educational Services
The Recruitment Incentive and Retention Program (RIRP) is a New York State program designed to recruit and retain members for the State Military Forces (Army and Air National Guard, and Naval Militia). This competitive program will pay the cost of tuition up to SUNY tuition rates per semester. Read more about RIRP.

11. NYS Scholarships for Academic Excellence
Awarded to outstanding graduates from registered New York State high schools. Awards are based on student grades in certain Regents exams. Visit for information about academic excellence scholarships.

12. Segal AmeriCorps Education Award
Provided to New York State residents interested in high quality opportunities in community service. Click to learn more about the Segal AmeriCorps award.

13. NYS World Trade Center Memorial Scholarship
Guarantees access to a college education for the families and financial dependents of the victims who died or were severely and permanently disabled in the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks and the resulting rescue and recovery efforts. View information and application instructions for the World Trade Center Memorial Scholarship.

14. Flight 3407 Memorial Scholarship
Provides financial aid to children, spouses and financial dependents of individuals killed as a direct result of the crash of Continental Airlines Flight 3407 on February 12, 2009. Read information and application instructions for the Flight 3407 Memorial Scholarship.

15. Flight 587 Memorial Scholarship
For the families and financial dependents of victims of the crash of American Airlines Flight 587 on November 12, 2001. Click for information and application instructions for the Flight 587 Memorial Scholarship.

16. The Military Enhanced Recognition Incentive and Tribute MERIT Scholarship
Provides financial aid to children, spouses and financial dependents of members of the United States armed forces or of a state organized militia who, at any time on or after Aug. 2, 1990, while a New York State resident, died or became severely and permanently disabled while performing their military duties whether in combat or not, for study in New York State. View information and application instructions for the Military Enhanced Recognition Incentive and Tribute MERIT Scholarship.

17. NYS Math & Sciences Teaching Incentive Scholarship
Provides grants to eligible full-time undergraduate or graduate students in approved programs that lead to math or science teaching careers in secondary education. Learn more information on math and science teaching scholarships.

18. NYS Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Incentive Program
The NYS STEM Incentive Program provides awards for full-time study up to the annual tuition charged to NYS resident students attending an undergraduate program at the State University of New York (SUNY), or actual tuition charged, whichever is less, for the top 10 percent of students in each New York State high school if they pursue a STEM degree in an Associate's or Bachelor's degree program and agree to work in a STEM field in New York State for 5 years after graduation. Visit for more information on STEM scholarships.

19. NYS Achievement and Investment in Merit Scholarship (NY-AIMS)
The NYS Achievement and Investment in Merit Scholarship (NY-AIMS) provides high school graduates who excel academically with $500 in merit-based scholarship to support their cost of attendance at any college or university located in New York State. Click for NY-AIMS information and application instructions.

20. NYS Masters-in-Education Teacher Incentive Scholarship
The New York State Masters-in-Education Teacher Incentive Scholarship Program provides 500 top undergraduate students full graduate tuition awards annually, to pursue their Master's in Education at a SUNY or CUNY college or university. To be eligible, a student must be enrolled full-time in a master’s degree in education program and agree to teach in a NYS public elementary or secondary school for five years following completion of his or her degree. Read more about the NYS Masters-in-Education Teacher Incentive Scholarship.

Federal Financial Aid

Academic Eligibility Criteria for Federal Awards

Federal regulations require students to make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) towards a degree in order to receive any federal student aid, including Federal Direct Loans. SAP guidelines require students to meet both a Qualitative (Cumulative GPA) and Quantitative (Pace) standard within a maximum time frame.

Students will retain eligibility for financial aid if they maintain a cumulative GPA consistent with the University’s academic standards required for graduation and meet the requirements shown on the academic progress chart. Students who fail to meet SAP are no longer eligible for federal student aid but have the option to appeal following the appeal procedure below. See our Undergraduate Education website to learn about UAlbany’s Academic Retention Standards.

Additionally, a student must progress through his or her educational program taking only courses applicable to their program of study to ensure that they will complete the program within the maximum timeframe required for federal student aid. Students may attempt up to 150% of the credits normally required to complete a baccalaureate degree and retain eligibility for federal student aid.

At the University at Albany students must have earned 120 graduation credits to receive a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree. Thus, students may attempt up to 180 credits and retain eligibility for federal student aid; however, students must also complete a percentage of credits attempted each year. Transfer credits accepted by the University are considered to be attempted and completed credits for this purpose. Review the academic program chart for federal financial aid.

Progress towards the degree will be measured once each year, at the completion of the spring semester. Students may restore eligibility for federal aid when they meet the standards outlined in the SAP policy.

Repeated Courses: Repeat course credits will be counted as attempted and earned in the calculation of Federal Satisfactory Academic Progress. Note: unlimited repeated courses can be funded with federal aid if the student has not passed the course previously at UAlbany. Only one repeated course can be funded with the federal aid if the student previously passed the course.

Course Withdrawals: Credits for courses with a grade of W will be counted as attempted credits, but not credits earned in determining Federal Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Remedial Non-credit Coursework: Credits for remedial non-credit courses will not be counted as credits attempted or credits earned in determining Federal Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Incomplete Grades: In determining Federal Satisfactory Academic Progress, credits for courses with grades of Incomplete will count toward credits attempted but not count toward credits earned until the incomplete grade is changed to a passing grade.

Transfer credits: Transfer credits accepted by the University are considered to be attempted and completed credits in determining Federal Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Change in Major: A change in major has no impact on academic success. All attempted credits and grades earned will be counted when assessing progress.

Completed Program, No Degree

Students who have completed all degree coursework and academic requirements for the degree they are pursuing cannot continue to receive federal aid.

Loss of Eligibility for Federal Awards

Students who are not making satisfactory academic progress will lose their eligibility for federal student aid. Students may appeal to the University if they feel there are special circumstances that affected their ability to make academic progress.

Appeal Process

Reasons for appeal may include: a death in the student’s immediate family, serious injury or illness or other mitigating circumstances that may have prevented the student from meeting SAP requirements. Students will be required to complete the online Satisfactory Academic Progress Waiver Form for Federal Financial Aid.

If the appeal is approved, students will be placed on an academic improvement plan and notified in writing that they are on financial aid probation for one additional semester. Students on probation are eligible to receive financial aid but are subject to the University's policy regarding review and dismissal for academic reasons. Questions regarding academic progress should be directed to the Office of Financial Aid.

Note: a student on financial aid probation for a payment period may not receive federal aid for the subsequent payment period unless the student makes satisfactory academic progress, or the institution determines that the student met the requirements outlined in the academic improvement plan.

Federal Programs

1. Federal Pell Grant
This federal grant program provides assistance to matriculated undergraduate students who have demonstrated the highest calculated need as determined by the FAFSA. The maximum award for the 2023-2024 academic year is $7,395. The award amount will depend not only on financial need, but also on the cost of attendance, enrollment status as a full-time or part-time student, and plans to attend school for a full academic year or less. Students are only eligible to receive a Pell Grant for a maximum of 12 semesters.

2. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
Students receiving this type of assistance must have exceptional financial need. At the University at Albany, this grant typically ranges from $200 to $800 each year.

3. Federal Direct Loans
Subsidized or Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans are available to matriculated students who are enrolled at least half-time. Click for additional information on federal loans. Students should also view the most current interest rates and origination fees.

4. Federal Direct PLUS Loans
Direct Parent PLUS loans allow parents of dependent students to borrow the difference between the student's cost of attendance and any financial aid awarded to the student. This loan requires the parent to complete and successfully pass a credit check. Repayment of principal and interest begins within 60 days of the final loan disbursement unless otherwise deferred. Parents should complete the Parent PLUS application and Master Promissory Note at the Federal Student Aid website.

5. Federal Work-Study Program
A Work-Study award provides employment opportunities for students with financial need. Students are employed by various campus administrative offices, academic departments, and community service agencies. Students are paid an hourly rate and receive paychecks every two weeks for hours worked. Students will have the opportunity to select which jobs they would like to apply for and submit their job applications online. Work-Study is an employment opportunity, not a guaranteed job.

6. Bureau of Indian Affairs to Native Americans Higher Education Assistance Program
Eligibility is restricted to students with financial need who are pursuing a four-year degree, are at least one-fourth American Indian, Eskimo, or Aleut and are enrolled members of a tribe, band or group recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs Office. Application must be made each year. In addition, first-time applicants must obtain tribal certification from the appropriate bureau agency or tribal office which records enrollment for the tribe. Read additional information about federal aid provided to students of recognized tribes.

7. Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty (Chapter 30)
This program provides for up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible veterans. Basic eligibility criteria are an honorable discharge and a high school diploma or GED. In addition, the veteran must meet the criteria set forth in one of four categories. These criteria are based on dates of active duty, length of service, and special requirements specific to each particular category. Click for more information on federal aid to veterans.

8. Montgomery GI Bill®-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
Selected Reserve educational benefits are available to members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Reserves as well as the Army National Guard and the Air Guard. It is the first Veteran's Administration program that makes educational benefits available to reservists who have never served on active duty. Read additional information about eligibility criteria and monthly benefit amounts.

9. Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)
REAP is an education program that provides up to 36 months of education benefits to members of the Selected Reserves, Individual Ready Reserve, and National Guard, who are called to active service in response to a war or national emergency, as declared by the President or Congress. The National Defense Authorization Act of 2016 ended REAP on November 25, 2015. Some individuals will remain eligible for REAP benefits until November 25, 2019. Additional information on REAP is available.

10. Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
This education benefit is available to eligible dependents of veterans who are at least 18 years old, veterans' spouses, and surviving spouses who meet the eligibility criteria. The veteran must be totally and permanently disabled from a service-related disability or died because of a service-related disability. Eligible persons can receive benefits for up to 45 months. Learn more information on eligibility requirements and how to apply.

11. Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)
The Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible. The Post-9/11 GI Bill® will pay eligible individuals at a percentage level ranging from 40% to 100%, based on the total number of days of eligible service after September 10, 2001. Payments include: tuition and fees directly to the school, not to exceed the maximum in-state tuition and fees at a public Institution of Higher Learning; a monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Housing Allowance for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school; and an annual books and supplies stipend of up to $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment. Additionally, tutorial assistance, and licensing and certification test reimbursement are approved. Students enrolled exclusively in online training will receive half the national average in the housing allowance. If you are enrolled half-time or less, or on active duty you will not receive the housing allowance but are eligible for a book allowance. This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits. The Post-9/11 GI Bill® also offers some service members the opportunity to transfer their GI Bill® to their dependents. Click to learn more about the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

12. Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment VetSuccess Program (Chapter 31)
The VR&E VetSuccess program assists veterans with service-connected disabilities prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs by providing services that include post-secondary training at a college or university. Read more about the VR&E VetSuccess Program.