How Students Are Spending Their UAlbany Summer 2021
ALBANY, N.Y. (July 15, 2021) – Despite ongoing limitations due to COVID-19, UAlbany students are finding ways to gain valuable experiences this summer through a variety of internships and applied learning opportunities.
Other students have stayed on campus – researching, volunteering and building the skills necessary to launch successful careers.
Here’s a small sample of how students are spending their summer:
- Raphael Karger, a senior cybersecurity major at the School of Business, is interning with Google as a security engineer.
- Sophomore Brianna Langston is serving as an assistant this summer at UAlbany’s Science & Technology Entry Program (STEP) Summer Institute. The annual summer program has the capacity to serve more than 100 local middle and high school students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Max Weissman, a senior communication and journalism major at the College of Arts in Sciences, is writing concert and music reviews for New York State Music. He’s also serving as the program director for UAlbany’s student-run radio station 90.9 FM WCDB Albany.
- Six UAlbany students are getting paid for their research work this summer, thanks to funding from CURCE, the Center for Undergraduate Research and Creative Engagement. CURCE’s pilot Summer Stipend Program provides $2,000 over eight weeks.
- Mya Darsan, a junior biology and environmental science major at the College of Arts in Sciences, is working as an Endangered Species Steward through the Suffolk County Parks Department’s Endangered Species Protection Program.
- Amaechi Anyene, a junior at the College of Emergency Preparedness, Homeland Security and Cybersecurity, is a remote summer intern at the NYS Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services.
- Jahnavi Bonagiri, a sophomore computer science and applied mathematics major at the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, is interning with United Way to bridge the digital divide that exists in the Capital Region.
Are you completing research, interning or volunteering this summer? We want to hear from you! Please send us details and a photo to [email protected] for a chance to be featured on the UAlbany website and social media channels.