Out of Country Reporting

There are a limited number of situations in which a registered student in F-1 or J-1 status can maintain their status while living outside the U.S. These include when a:

  • graduate student is doing their dissertation or thesis research outside the U.S.
  • student is participating in a UAlbany approved study abroad program
  • student will take UAlbany classes from outside the U.S. under the March 9, 2020 DHS guidance.

If you are a F-1 or J-1 student who falls into any of the above categories, you should complete the Out of Country Reporting EForm to report to ISSS your plans. This application is valid for one semester only. You must submit this application each semester as an international student in F-1 or J-1 status if you plan to study outside the U.S.

Please complete the Out of Country Reporting EForm by following the instructions below:

  1. Click here to navigate to the AccessISSS online system. Login with your UAlbany NetID (ex: AA123456) and password.
  2. Watch this recording to help you navigate to the EForm menu.
  3. Select the "Out of Country Reporting Form" from the EForm menu.
  4. This EForm will ask you to upload supporting documents. If you need assistance, please review the File Upload Instructions webpage.
  5. All updates related to your EForm will be communicated over email. Please allow up to 5-7 business days for processing.


Note about undue foreign influences and export control: Doctoral international students conducting research overseas who are enrolled in 899 dissertation load credit (or equivalent) remain affiliated with UAlbany and therefore generally fall under the education exclusion of federal export controls. However, as foreign influences and export control related policies research are outside the scope of ISSS you and your academic and/or dissertation advisor are encouraged to consult the UAlbany export control policies under the Office of Enterprise Risk Management. You may also decide to also reach out to the Division of Research and Economic Development or the Research Foundation accordingly, depending on your specific case.