International Student and Scholar Services Home
Scheduling an Appointment with ISSS
During remote operations, the best way to contact us is through email (ISSS@albany.edu
) or by scheduling an appointment to meet with an advisor through Zoom. Below are the steps to schedule a Zoom appointment:
- Click this link.
- Select an appointment date.
- Click the appointment time you want. Click “Confirm”
- Under “Enter Details” answer the questions.
- Click the blue “Schedule Event” button.
- You should get an initial email from Calendly confirming your request for an appointment. Then, an ISSS advisor will email you with the Zoom Meeting details once the Zoom Meeting is scheduled with an advisor.
ISSS Policy Guidance for International Student Study in Fall 2020-Updated July 25, 2020
On July 24, 2020 Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) updated it policy guidance for international student study for fall 2020. On July 25, 2020 ISSS updated its ISSS Policy Guidance for International Student Study in Fall 2020 which is available here. This document replaces the Preliminary ISSS Guidance Memo-Fall 2020, which was intended for the interim as universities across the U.S. waited for updated policy guidance for fall student from ICE/SEVP. We ask the UAlbany community, including international students, faculty and staff who advise/counsel international students to read the new ISSS Policy Guidance, a summary of the main points of which are below:
- Continuing students who are already in the U.S. or currently overseas with the intention of returning to the U.S. for fall 2020 study may be registered for a fully online schedule in fall 2020. However, ISSS still recommends (although not required) that continuing students intending to return to the U.S. for fall 2020 register for at least one course or one credit that in person or blended/hybrid, which the student could convert to an online course after arriving to campus if preferable. ISSS suggests this action since it still possible. depending on when an international student travels and to what U.S. port of entry they arrive, that a border agent might ask them to verify they do not have a fully online schedule.
- New international students intending to enter the U.S. to study for fall 2020 MUST register for a at least one course or one credit that is in person or blended hybrid.
- F-1 students currently active in SEVIS who are now overseas and choose to study full-time outside of the US for fall 2020 may remain active in SEVIS for the fall semester.
- Should the university have to move to an all remote instruction model due to an outbreak, continuing international students may remain in the U.S. and study fully online during fall 2020. However, new international students will have needed to complete an in-person component of their in-person or blended/hybrid course in order to remain in the U.S.
Please visit our FAQ site for the most up-to-date information on current procedures and immigration policies. You can also find on this page our guide to help students prepare for Fall 2020. This page covers many topics, including but not limited to: office procedures during remote operations (document requests, advising, etc.); registration and academics, including Fall 2020 information; employment considerations, including for OPT,STEM OPT and CPT; travel, including risks and what to do before traveling; wellbeing and financial considerations, including financial resources for students; and housing/living considerations.
OPT & CPT Workshop Schedule Fall 2020
Graduating in December? Don't forget that the OPT workshop is a required component of your OPT application.
You can view a full OPT and CPT workshop schedule by clicking here
Unable to attend live? A recording of the workshop will be available on our website after the first session(s).
University Fall Reopening Plan
Students can find the latest information on this plan on the University’s website, here
. In reviewing these plans, F-1 students should also carefully review all announcements from ISSS regarding DHS guidance.
Important Update: UAlbany's Quarantining and COVID-19 Testing Requirements
Students should review the University’s quarantining and COVID-19 testing requirements when planning their arrival on the University’s website, here
For a FAQ for international students, please click here
Presidential Proclamation Suspending Entry of Certain Individuals from China
We realize that members of our Chinese student and scholar community are very concerned about a recent June 1st U.S. federal proclamation suspending the entry of certain non-immigrant Chinese students and scholars with ties with the Chinese military from entering the country. We share this concern with you and want to ensure that our Chinese community has an understanding of who this proclamation impacts and who it does not. More specifically the June 1st Proclamation does not currently affect Chinese international students and scholars inside the U.S. at this time. The Proclamation additionally does not currently impact undergraduate students. For more information and a clear summary about the June 1st Proclamation, please visit AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association) at https://www.aila.org/infonet/summary-of-presidential-proclamation-china-student
Follow ISSS on Instagram @ualbanyisss
ISSS is now on Instagram! Follow us to get the latest updates on events and other important announcements @ualbanyisss
ISSS is now Using E-Forms
ISSS is going electronic! Students will be able to submit some requests online through AccessISSS, the UAlbany ISSS student portal.
The following requests should be submitted online using an E-Form:
- OPT & STEM OPT Requests
- I-20/DS-2019 Extension Requests
- Departure and/or Transfer Out Requests
- Status Letter Requests (including SSN status letter requests)
- Reduced Course Load Authorization
- OPT/STEM OPT Employer Updates (formerly “OPT Data Form”)
- New Student Arrival Form
ISSS will continue to release new E-Forms throughout this academic year. Please visit the Forms page on the ISSS website to access all Forms, including E-Forms: https://www.albany.edu/isss/forms.php
Reporting Requirements for Students
Now is a good time to remind yourself of your reporting requirements as an international student. Our Reporting Requirements webpage also features information for OPT and STEM OPT students. Visit it here.