Fall 2023 Global Health Seminar on Living and Working Abroad / Careers in Global Health
The Center for Global Health’s Fall Seminar is structured as a weekly informal group discussion over the lunch hour. The seminar sessions will be in-person with a hybrid/remote option. All discussions are guided by an individual or by individuals with extensive international work experience. Returned students, alumni, Peace Corps Volunteers and other “global citizens” living in the Capital Region often attend the seminar sessions to network and join in discussions.
Networking with global health professionals is more critical than ever to learn about and seek jobs in the global health field. This seminar is a great networking opportunity, as it gives participating students a chance to connect with other students interested in global health and with likeminded “global citizens” and practitioners living and working here in the New York State Capital Region and beyond.
Given the career networking opportunities available to seminar participants, we strongly encourage in-person attendance. Participating students can also earn LEAD Student Engagement Program points by attending the seminar sessions and related events/activities. And food/snacks and refreshments will be provided! We hope you can join us!
When: Mondays, 11:45 AM - 1:00 PM, starting October 2, 2023 (see detailed outline below)
Where: School of Public Heath / George Education Center, Classroom 4 (GEC C4) / Remote via Zoom (see link below)
https://albany.zoom.us/j/99535286322?pwd=N0NCZ280b2V4L1RacldwckVVMGpnUT09 (Meeting ID: 995 3528 6322 / Passcode: 454496)
Note: The Center for Global Health’s Fall Seminar Series is a non-credit bearing seminar. All UAlbany School of Public Health (SPH) graduate students interested in completing an international internship or a Global Health Field Placement with the U.S. Peace Corps are required to attend the seminar. However, any and all University at Albany students interested in global health, launching a global career or in living/studying abroad are encouraged to attend the seminar sessions.
Seminar Schedule / Topics (relate special events & activities*)
Session 1 – Global Health Opportunities & The Global Health Landscape Monday, October 2, 2023
- Welcome and Introductions
- Why this seminar is important for students interested in Global Health
- Overview of Certificate in Global Health, international internships, and other opportunities for students
- Overview of global health and personal experiences in the field
Remember to sign up for Public Health History Day Trip to Saranac Lake on Friday, October 20, 2023 (see link below)
No seminar scheduled for Monday, October 9,2023 – Columbus Day Holiday
Session 2 – Culture Matters / Keys to Success Living & Working Abroad Monday, October 16, 2023
- Why Culture Matters / Cultural Adjustment
- How to live and work abroad successfully
- The benefits to living and working abroad
- The importance of cultural integration into your community
Special Seminar Session - Student Voices from the Field Monday, October 23, 2023
- Student-led seminar featuring presentations from returning International Interns
Remember to sign up and join Rotaract for World Polio Day Celebration on Tuesday, Oct. 24, 2023 (see link below)
Session 3 – Engaging in Global Health in the Capital Region / Go GLOCAL Monday, October 30, 2023
- Engaging with the global community locally
- The global population in the Capital Region: who are they and where are they from
- How to support refugees and immigrants in the Capital Region and U.S.
- Internship and service-learning opportunities with West Hill Refugee Welcome Center and RISSE
Session 4 – Preparing to Go Abroad / Being Well and Staying Safe Monday, November 6, 2023
- Taking care of business – budgeting, packing, important docs, inoculations, health insurance, etc.
- Finding housing from here (if necessary)
- Staying Healthy, Safe and Secure
- Maintaining healthy relationships (in your new country and at home)
Session 5 – Careers in Global Health / Wrap-up (and pizza party) Monday, November 13, 2023
- Career paths in global health
- Sharing field experiences, lessons learned, and career advice
- Seminar Wrap-up and Pizza Party!
* Save the Dates for these Fall 2023 Global Health Seminar related events / activities:
- Fall Public Health History Day Trip – Friday, October 20, 2023
- Student Voices from the Field – Monday, October 23, 2023
- World Polio Day Celebration – Tuesday Evening, October 24, 2023