Ph.D., Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, 2015
Master, Hydraulic Engineering, China Agricultural University, China, 2011
Bachelor, Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, China Agricultural University, China, 2009
Dr. Yaoze Liu is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Environmental and Sustainable Engineering at University at Albany and Director of the Hydrology and Water Quality Lab. Before joining University at Albany in 2018, he was a post-doctoral researcher at Purdue University.
Dr. Liu’s research interests include:
- Hydrologic/water quality models improvements and developments
- Hydrological and water quality impacts of climate change and land use/land cover change
- Urban green infrastructure practices and agricultural conservation practices
- Decision support systems for cost-effective strategies to address hydrologic/water quality problems
- Water-energy-food nexus
1. Yaoze Liu, Bernard A. Engel, Dennis C. Flanagan, Margaret W. Gitau, Sara K. McMillan, Indrajeet Chaubey, Shweta Singh. 2018. Modeling framework for representing long-term effectiveness of best management practices in addressing hydrology and water quality problems: Framework development and demonstration using a Bayesian method. Journal of Hydrology. Doi: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2018.03.053
2. Te Xu, Bernard A Engel, Xinmei Shi, Linyuan Leng, Haifeng Jia, L Yu Shaw, Yaoze Liu. 2018. Marginal-cost-based greedy strategy (MCGS): Fast and reliable optimization of low impact development (LID) layout. Science of The Total Environment, 640, pp.570-580.
3. Yaoze Liu, Bernard A. Engel, Paris D. Collingsworth, Bryan C. Pijanowski. 2017. Optimal implementation of green infrastructure practices to minimize influences of land use change and climate change on hydrology and water quality: Case study in Spy Run Creek watershed, Indiana. Science of the Total Environment. Doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.06.015
4. Yaoze Liu, Bernard A. Engel, Dennis C. Flanagan, Margaret W. Gitau, Sara K. McMillan, Indrajeet Chaubey. 2017. A review on effectiveness of best management practices in improving hydrology and water quality: needs and opportunities. Science of the Total Environment. Doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.05.212
5. Yaoze Liu, Sisi Li, Carlington W. Wallace, Indrajeet Chaubey, Dennis C. Flanagan, Lawrence O. Theller, Bernard A. Engel. 2017. Comparison of computer models for estimating hydrology and water quality in an agricultural watershed. Water Resources Management. Doi:10.1007/s11269-017-1691-9
6. Yaoze Liu, Lawrence O. Theller, Bryan C. Pijanowski, Bernard A. Engel. 2016. Optimal selection and placement of green infrastructure to reduce impacts of land use change and climate change on hydrology and water quality: an application to the Trail Creek watershed, Indiana. Science of the Total Environment. 553:149-163.
7. Yaoze Liu, Raj Cibin, Vincent F. Bralts, Indrajeet Chaubey, Laura, C. Bowling, Bernard A. Engel. 2016. Optimal selection and placement of BMPs and LID practices with a rainfall-runoff model. Environmental Modelling & Software. 80:281-296.
8. Yaoze Liu, Indrajeet Chaubey, Laura C. Bowling, Vincent F. Bralts, Bernard A. Engel. 2016. Sensitivity and uncertainty analysis of the L-THIA-LID 2.1 model. Water Resources Management. 30(13):4927-4949.
9. Timothy J. Wright, Yaoze Liu, Natalie J. Carroll, Laurent M. Ahiablame, Bernard A. Engel. 2016. Retrofitting LID practices into existing neighborhoods: is it worth it? Environmental Management. 57(4):856-867.
10. Haosu Sun, Yunkai Li, Ji Feng, Haisheng Liu, Yaoze Liu. 2016. Effects of flow path boundary optimizations on particle transport in drip irrigation emitters. Irrigation and Drainage. 65(4):417-425.
11. Yaoze Liu, Vincent F. Bralts, Bernard A. Engel. 2015. Evaluating the effectiveness of management practices on hydrology and water quality at watershed scale with a rainfall-runoff model. Science of the Total Environment. 511:298-308.
12. Yaoze Liu, Laurent M. Ahiablame, Vincent F. Bralts, Bernard A. Engel. 2015. Enhancing a rainfall-runoff model to assess the impacts of BMPs and LID practices on storm runoff. Journal of Environmental Management. 147:12-23.
13. Bo Zhou, Yunkai Li, Yaoze Liu, Feipeng Xu, Yiting Pei, Zhenhua Wang. 2015. Effect of drip irrigation frequency on emitter clogging using reclaimed water. Irrigation Science. 33(3):221-234.
14. Lixi Zhao, Yunkai Li, Fang Jiang, Hui Wang, Shumei Ren, Yaoze Liu, Zhiyun Ouyang. 2015. Comparative advantage for the areas irrigated with underground blue water in North China Plain. Water Policy. 17(6):1033-1044.
15. Chunfa Zhou, Xiaoxuan Fan, Zigong Ning, Pengxiang Li, Chengcheng Liu, Peiling Yang, Yaoze Liu, Ze Shi, Yunkai Li. 2015. Reducing riverbed infiltration using mixtures of sodium bentonite and clay. Environmental Earth Sciences. 74(4):3089-3098.
16. Zigong Ning, Mingchao Liang, Zhenhua Wang, Yunkai Li, Yaoze Liu, Tianzhi Wang. 2015. Nitrogen and phosphate adsorption on biofilms in reclaimed water. Environmental Earth Sciences. 74(1):451-461.
17. Yiting Pei, Yunkai Li, Yaoze Liu, Bo Zhou, Ze Shi, Yinguang Jiang. 2014. Eight emitters clogging characteristics and its suitability under on-site reclaimed water drip irrigation. Irrigation Science. 32(2):141-157.
18. Bo Zhou, Yunkai Li, Yaoze Liu, Yiting Pei, Yinguang Jiang, Honglu Liu. 2014. Effects of flow path depth on emitter clogging and surface topographical characteristics of biofilms. Irrigation and Drainage. 63(1):46-58.
19. Yaoze Liu, Yunkai Li, Bo Zhou, Yinguang Jiang, Yiting Pei, Ze Shi (The first three authors equally contributed to this paper). 2013. Preliminary surface topographical characteristics of bioﬁlms attached on drip irrigation emitters using reclaimed water. Irrigation Science. 31(4):557-574.
20. Bo Zhou, Yunkai Li, Yiting Pei, Yaoze Liu, Zhijing Zhang, Yinguang Jiang. 2013. Quantitative relationship between biofilms components and emitter clogging under reclaimed water drip irrigation. Irrigation Science. 31(6):1251-1263.
21. Dan Wu, Yunkai Li, Haisheng Liu, Peiling Yang, Haosu Sun, Yaoze Liu. 2013. Simulation of the flow characteristics of a drip irrigation emitter with large eddy methods. Mathematical and Computer Modelling. 58(3-4):497-506.
22. Yaoze Liu, Yunkai Li, Guibing Li, Tingwu Xu, Haisheng Liu, Shumei Ren, Dazhuang Yan, Peiling Yang (The first four authors equally contributed to this paper). 2012. Surface topographic characteristics of suspended particulates in reclaimed wastewater and effects on clogging in labyrinth drip irrigation emitters. Irrigation Science. 30(1):43-56.
23. Guibing Li, Yunkai Li, Tingwu Xu, Yaoze Liu, Hai Jin, Peiling Yang, Dazhuang Yan, Shumei Ren. 2012. Effects of average velocity on the growth and surface topography of biofilms attached to the reclaimed wastewater drip irrigation system laterals. Irrigation Science. 30(2):103-113.
24. Lingyan Wang, Yunkai Li, Hua Zheng, Tingwu Xu, Zhiyun Ouyang, Zhanfeng Wang, Zhiheng Ji, Yaoze Liu. 2012. Evaluating the effects of climate changes and LUCC on the hydrological processes using Soil and Water Assessment Tool models in Wangkuai Reservoir watershed in China. Sensor Letters. 10(1-2):405-414.
25. Yanzheng Liu, Guanghui Teng, Bo Zhou, Feipeng Xu, Yaoze Liu, Yunkai Li. 2012. Analysis on the characteristics of temperature environment and optimal sensor placement in roof solar greenhouse using Computational Fluid Dynamics simulation methods. Sensor Letters. 10(1-2):146-154.
26. Wei Zhao, Yunkai Li, Chunfa Zhou, Yaoze Liu, Jun Du, Peiling Yang, Keqiang Zhang, Feng Wang, Zhiping Huang. 2012. HYDRUS-CLIMGEN coupling model and its applications in analyzing nitrogen leaching under long-term piggery wastewater irrigation. Sensor Letters. 10(1-2):649-659.
27. Shaoqing Du, Wenjie Zeng, Ze Shi, Yaoze Liu, Yunkai Li, Fudong Gao. 2011. Effects of working pressure on hydraulic performances of labyrinth path emitters. Transactions of the Chinese Society of Agricultural Engineering. 27(2):55-60.
28. Yanzheng Liu, Guanghui Teng, Yaoze Liu, Tingwu Xu, Youquan Jiao, Chunting Li, Yan Li, Xiangjun Wang. 2010. Comprehensive simulation for microclimate environment with Computational Fluid Dynamics methods and its application for optimal sensor placement in small-scale greenhouse. Sensor Letters. 8(1):208-217.