Hany A. Shawky
Hany A. Shawky served as interim dean of the University at Albany School of Business from July 2016 through August 2018, after serving four years as associate dean. A sample of his accomplishments.
1. Developed a strategic vision for the school of “elevating our national rankings”
2. Worked closely with the university media and marketing group to develop a “brand” and a communication strategy.
3. Worked to assure successful re-accreditation for our business program, including the hiring of two new tenure track faculty in the marketing department.
4. Reorganized the ITM department into two separate departments: the Information Security and Digital Forensics department and the Information Systems and Business Analytics department.
5. Forged a collaborative international agreement with Stony Brook and with IIT Delhi.
6. Obtained funding approval for a new Master’s degree program in Digital Forensics.
7. Supported the promotion of one faculty and two staff members.
8. Supported faculty to secure $1.8 M in funded research grants.
9. Recruited to fill six tenure track faculty lines.
Dr. Shawky received his Ph.D. degree in finance from the Ohio State University. He is the founder of the Center for Institutional Investment Management at the University at Albany and served as its director from September 2002 through December 2007. Professor Shawky specializes in investment management and portfolio performance evaluation and is widely published in academic and applied journals on issues dealing with asset pricing, stock market behavior, international financial markets and electricity markets. He has published over 60 refereed scholarly articles in finance and economics journals, and was the recipient of the School of Business Research Award in 1996, 2001 and 2004. . Professor Shawky was recently listed among the “Most Prolific Authors in the Finance Literature: 1959-2008” with a percentile ranking in the top 2% of finance faculty worldwide (Heck and Cooley, 2009). He ranked #550 among the 17,601 finance faculty who has published at least one article in the top 26 core finance journals.