Centers of Excellence
Center for Advancement and Understanding of Social Enterprises
- Established in 2015, CAUSE works with the community to support organizations with a dual purpose, satisfying both a social and a business mission, as well as helping entrepreneurs create social enterprises.
- Offers conferences, forums, a speaker series, symposia, and workshops to the community and connects UAlbany faculty who conduct research in social entrepreneurship.
- Hosts visitors from around the world to engage in how entrepreneurial activities can mitigate current social problems.
- Developed an online module for a program in the environment and social entrepreneurship and pedagogy materials for educating social entrepreneurs.
- Partners with local organizations to jointly achieve these objectives.
Center for Institutional Investment Management
- Established in 2002, CIIM is the nation’s first academic center focused on research and analysis of strategic institutional investing.
- Actively promotes institutional investment management research among faculty and students through research grants, travel support, and the acquisition of relevant academic and practitioner databases.
- Acquired Bloomberg terminals to afford our finance students the opportunity of performing cutting edge applications in financial analysis.
Small Business Development Center
- Supports small startup companies, family-owned enterprises, entrepreneurial ventures, and other businesses with a need for funding, marketing, and management assistance.
- Offers no-cost, one-to-one counseling in developing strategic business plans, identifying appropriate sources of funding, providing market research, management information and financial analysis.
- Provides internship opportunities to students and student group projects within many of the SBDC’s manufacturing and larger client businesses.
The Center for Forensics, Analytics, Complexity, Energy, Transportation and Security
- Engages in research on security of complex energy and transportation systems and the Internet of Things (IoT)
- Raised over $3 million in research funding in 2016 from IARPA, NSF, NIST, and the U.S. Department of Commerce
- Investigate the impact of user behavior on security practices in organizations as its core mission
- Partners with several regional firms and is developing a Cyber Innovation Laboratory to support innovation in the cyber security and digital forensics space