Distinguished Professor and Chair
Department of Sociology
Department of East Asian Studies
Migration/Immigration, Demography, China
Recent Research Projects
- China International Migration Project -- The major goals of this project are to conduct a survey of international migrants in China's Fujian province and to involve undergraduate students in research.
- Complex Interactions among Policies, People, and Panda Habitat in the Wolong Nature Reserve Landscape -- The major goals of this project are to assess interactions among three policies and local people, to evaluate relationships between local people and panda habitat, to examine the need for feasibility of policy modification and improvement, and to model and simulate multi-scale interactions among policies, people and panda habitat across space and time.
- Interrelationships between Population and Environment -- The major goals of this project are to examine the relationships between fuelwood consumption and household demography and to understand population processes and dynamics.
- Market Transition and Migration in China -- The major goals of this project are to measure patterns of migration in China transition and migration networks.
- Internal and International Migration
- Social Demography
- Urban Sociology
- Race and Ethnic Relations
- China Studies