‘Wellness Wednesday’ Events Planned to Encourage Short Breaks
ALBANY, N.Y. (Feb. 23, 2021) – With Wellness Wednesday coming up on March 3, Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) encourages students to take a little bit of time for themselves and has planned a series of events to help the campus community relax.
“With classes suspended on March 3 and April 6, we’re hoping that students will take an intentional break to find and create a sense of calm wherever they are, using what’s available to them, and how they choose,” said Vivian Wilson-Hwang, a psychologist at CAPS who is helping coordinate the events. “We realize that this doesn’t replace having spring break, but we want students to know about different ways they can focus on well-being during short breaks.”
Supported by University Auxiliary Services (UAS), the CAPS events are co-hosted by Res Life, Campus Recreation, the Center for Leadership and Service, UAlbany Dining and the Center for Behavioral Health Promotion and Applied Research. In addition to in-person and virtual events, there will also be “grab and go” opportunities. Many of the activities can be done on the students’ time. Instructions can be found on the event website, and resources will stay available after the events are over.
- Campus Rec’s Pop-up Snowshoe Rentals, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. (One hour rentals). P.E. Building lobby. Make sure to bring your UAlbany ID.
- Group Nature Walks, 12:15 p.m. and 1 p.m. Meet at the gazebo at the west end of Indian Pond. The 12:15 walk will move briskly but then pause two or three times for guided mindful exercises with a CAPS staff member. The 1 p.m. walk is a brisk 10-minute, half-mile walk around the pond.
- Yard Game Tournaments, 9:30-10:45 p.m. P.E. Gym. Register on IMLeagues.com.
- Health and Wellness Tips, 6-9 p.m. State Quad Eastman Tower Penthouse
- Take a Break and Learn Origami, 7 p.m., Quad Office in Livingston Tower
- Mindful Moments, 11-11:30 a.m. and 4-4:30pm. Zoom (Meeting ID: 942 5908 1084, Passcode: UAMindful)
- Nap Class, 2 p.m. Zoom (Meeting ID: 986 5866 4430, Passcode: 113557)
- Wednesday Wisdom on Leadership: Taking care of yourself in order to better serve others, 3 p.m., Zoom
- UAlbany Recreation Trivia with Prizes, 7 p.m. Register online beforehand. Zoom (Meeting ID: 965 5017 4364)
- Virtual Paint & Sip: Sexuality and Body Positivity, 7:30 p.m. Zoom (Meeting ID: 971 3468 6706, Password: 479254)
- Get Your Gratitude On, anytime (asynchronous). UAlbany WAY website.
Grab and Go
- Five Senses Calming Kit, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Uptown Quads Tower lobbies + Campus Center West
- Color-Me-Calm Kit, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Uptown Quads Tower lobbies + Campus Center West
- Hot Chocolate Grab and Go, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Uptown Quads Tower lobbies
CAPs will host similar programming on April 6 for “Take a Break Tuesday.” More details to follow.