Learning objectives that UAlbany students are expected to attain through their course of study within their academic program.
- Construct proofs using techniques from logic such as proof by contradiction and/or specific techniques such as the principle of induction.
- Analyze and check correctness of mathematical arguments, and read mathematical text independently.
- Apply an advanced abstract mathematical idea to a concrete real-world problem (e.g., application of differential equations, or linear programming, or RSA or error correction codes).
- Write effectively using language appropriate for mathematical discourse.
- Use calculus to analyze and evaluate properties of real valued functions.
- Gain advanced understanding of three areas of mathematics: Analysis, Geometry/Topology, and Algebra
- Develop deep understanding and working knowledge of one chosen area of mathematics, which can come from one of the areas of the faculty expertise such as analysis, algebra, topology, and statistics.