New for Fall 2021
UAlbany's Leadership and Service-Learning Academy
Applications due by Friday, February 26, 2021
The Leadership and Service-Learning Academy is open to all incoming, first-year students. Students must apply for consideration prior to February 26, 2021.
This Academy is a full year experience designed to develop outstanding twenty-first century leaders who can innovate, collaborate, and inspire, with global fluency and flexibility, and with higher levels of understanding. Students selected for the Academy will be provided with a year of invaluable and unique leadership development and community engagement experiences designed to broaden their personal leadership profiles. The Leadership and Service-Learning Academy will position students for great success throughout their time at the university and will develop skills that will frame their future careers.
Students interested in submitting an essay for consideration into this program must meet these requirements
- Must be an incoming freshman.
- Must have high school leadership experience.
- Be interested in further developing as an ethical, civic-minded, and responsible leader.
- Be willing to engage in ongoing leadership workshops and community service during fall and spring semesters of their first year.
- Be committed to being an agent of positive social change for the university community and society.
- Agree to participate in bi-weekly meetings and to engage in at least 20 hours of leadership development and community engagement activities per semester facilitated by the Center for Leadership and Service. These activities can include, but are not limited to, participation in Elevating Student Leaders, Global Leadership Experiences (credit and non-credit experiences), access to a variety of leadership activities and speaker series, and Lead/Leader/Leadership Certificate programs.
- Participants may enroll in the interdisciplinary Leadership Minor through the School of Education.
Students will be nominated for this program based upon the material submitted for admission. To be considered for the Leadership and Service-Learning Academy, students must submit a brief, 250-word essay on one of the following topics:
- Describe an experience underscoring the importance of social justice, equity, or inclusion.
- Who do you believe portrays an exemplary leader? Describe the lessons you have learned from this individual.
- Imagine yourself when you are 80 years old, reading a letter you wrote in 2020 to your future self, what would you have written?
All applications are due on or before Friday, February 26, 2021.
Further information about the Leadership and Service-Learning Academy is available by contacting:
Martha Jo Asselin, PhD
Director, Center for Leadership and Service, Student Affairs and
Asst. Staff Professor, Educational Policy & Leadership, School of Education
phone: 518-442-5445 cell: 518-956-4039
email: [email protected]