/banner_images/Clipboard01.jpg; /banner_images/Clipboard02.jpg; /banner_images/Silk_Road_Trip_and_Lake_George_001_(1).jpg; /banner_images/stephanie_uk.jpg;
Global Distinction Site Map
Global Distinction Transcript Milestone
What is Global Distinction?
- Optional and open to you as a UAlbany undergraduate student in good academic standing
- Adds value and purpose to your degree and time at UAlbany and beyond
- Equips your Major with global career readiness via language training, international immersion, and inter-disciplinary courses
- Provides the essential knowledge, skills, and perspectives for your success in an ever-changing world
- Whatever you make of it! The possibilities are endless
Is Global Distinction right for me?
- We hope so and we will support you!
- Check out the brochure
- Everyone is welcome and does Global Distinction their own way!
- • In the first 4 years, 22 UAlbany alum completing 15 Majors and proficiency in 12 different languages have graduated with Global Distinction!
- • Take inspiration from the journeys of Global Distinction Alumni.
- The earlier start you make (1st year at UAlbany), the better!
- • Benefit from 1-on-1 advising and custom mapping for your study and career plans, throughout your entire degree.
- • You can begin and complete Global Distinction in as little as 2 years, depending on your interests and degree.
- • If you are a transfer student, you could still graduate with Global Distinction. What you did at your previous college counts.
- You may already be ahead!
- • Jump-starts include college-level world history and language courses from high school or community college, or growing up speaking another language.
- • If you are bilingual or multilingual, perhaps an international or first-generation American student, you will fly through Global Distinction.
- Not sure if Global Distinction is right for you or want to do even more?
How do I achieve Global Distinction?
Explore the Possibilities
- Review the 3 core requirements (inter-disciplinary coursework, language, and international immersion) on the Milestone Markers Checklist.
- Meet with Global Distinction Director and Academic Advisor, Dr. Annette Richie, early and often, to chart your unique and rewarding journey!
- Become a Global Distinction Candidate!
- See hundreds of examples of Globally-Oriented Courses that fit into your Major, Minor, Gen Eds, and general elective credits.
- Find a sample Progression Plan for your Major(s), or check out various if you are undecided/intended.
- Enroll in language courses ASAP unless you are bilingual or multilingual.
- Find Arabic, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish in Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
- Find Chinese (Mandarin), Japanese, and Korean in East Asian Studies
- American Sign Language and many other languages will be approved. Choose your own adventure!
- Critical Language Scholarships pay you to study abroad in summer, earn credits, and jump ahead in your language proficiency and global career readiness.
- Inform your main/Major advisor(s) about your plans. Ask which course sequences and semesters must be completed at UAlbany.
- Likewise, if you benefit from Financial Aid or a scholarship, learn what you need to do to stay on track to receive funding through your graduation.
- Regularly update your Global Distinction advisor, at least once/semester to track your progress and plan next steps. You are never alone! Get help!
- Once officially accepted onto your Global Distinction-eligible study abroad experience, book your flights. Then receive your travel scholarship from The Dolan Family Study Abroad Opportunity Fund!
- Graduate with Global Distinction! Be recognized and celebrated at International Celebration and on your official transcript, resume, LinkedIn profile, graduate school and job applications.
- Hear from Global Distinction Alumni
Explore. Experience. Excel.